Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm starting to wonder if something deeper is going on...

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM
  • 61 Replies

BACKGROUND (this is long, sorry):

LO is 4 months old. Initially, at birth, had a FANTASTIC latch, but was very painful. We started using a shield at 4 days old and he was diagnosed by an IBCLC to have an ULT and TT. They were clipped at 17 days old. Took us until 6 weeks old to wean off the shield. Ever since weaning off the shield, his latch has been so-so. He has a good latch when he wants to, but unlatches FREQUENTLY. But was still, for the most part, nursing great and gaining weight fast. At 2 months old, he went through a 6-day nursing strike. No illness, no teeth (though he has an amber teething necklace and I've tried Tylenol and teething tablets) nothing changed except that he received his 2-month vaccines (well, the dtap and rotaviris) 3 days prior (he never acted like it bothered him--no increased fussiness, fever, etc). I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. He went from a baby that would nurse 45+ minutes to 5, if I was lucky. And in a 5 minute feed, he may unlatch 20+ times (no joke). His diaper count dropped and the ONLY way he would nurse was asleep AND laying down in bed. He has been that way ever since. At 3 months, he had his ULT and TT lasered (by a different doc, one of your preferred), but that made no noticable difference. I did all the stretches religiously and even tried suck training. I did have a pretty impressive oversupply and OAL, but the OS is much better and the OAL is pretty much gone. We only ever nurse reclined or side lying anyway. He's baffled every IBCLC and LLLL we've talked to a visited (which is several). All have made suggestions of things I've already tried and nothing works. 

I've started back to work recently and am gone 14+ hours. Last night, I was gone 15 hours and he didn't take one single drop of milk while I was gone. He won't take a syringe, cup, spoon, or even finger. I wouldn't be so concerned about that if he made up for it when I came home, but he doesn't. This morning when I came home, he nursed once, and that was really only comfort nursing while he took a nap. I offer frequently, but he just doesn't seem to want it. He's getting about 4-5 wets a day, but all of them but one are barely wet (sometimes they don't meet the 4tbl "feel" test) and he hasn't pooped in 12 days. 

He's a generally happy baby and meeting milestones, but for some reason, my "mommy" radar is going off. He's not a baby that can just be put to breast. I can't just nurrse right before I go to work because he won't do it. He will not nurse to sleep, so it's quite the process to get him to fall asleep, go lay down, and try to feed then. It's physically and emotionally exhausting. He's a very restless sleeper at night, waking evry 45 minutes- 1 hour and this has been going on for 1.5 months. He's not much of a spitter, but does randomly choke and gag while not on the breast. 

Weight history:

BW 8lbs2oz

Lowest 7lbs13oz

2 weeks 8lbs6oz

1 month 9lbs6oz

2 months 13lbs6oz (yes, that's right) 

3 months 15lbs11oz

4 months 17lbs3oz 

All on the same scale except for BW and lowest weight. Obviously, weight gain is fantastic and I realize that. I just can't shake this feeling that I'm missing something. Hopefully, I'm just that over-paranoid first time mom. 

by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seximama23
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Have you looked into cranial sacral therapy? And chiropractic care? I hear that it helps lots. My son acts the same way..nurses very short amounts and always seems like he is starving.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that. He's been to the chiropractor and had CST either 4 or 5 times (can't remember) and he's scheduled to go once a month now. That hasn't made a difference either :/

Quoting Seximama23: Have you looked into cranial sacral therapy? And chiropractic care? I hear that it helps lots. My son acts the same way..nurses very short amounts and always seems like he is starving.

Seximama23
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
If he isn't making enough wet diapers. .and you feel something is off look into it. Does he act like he wants to nurse but once he starts he doesnt..he may have oral aversions from the stretches and suck training.

Quoting LeapBaby123:

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that. He's been to the chiropractor and had CST either 4 or 5 times (can't remember) and he's scheduled to go once a month now. That hasn't made a difference either :/

Quoting Seximama23: Have you looked into cranial sacral therapy? And chiropractic care? I hear that it helps lots. My son acts the same way..nurses very short amounts and always seems like he is starving.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

He'll latch initially, suck a little, but as soon as he unlatches that first time, it's a no-go. I keep trying after every time he unlatches until he starts to get frustrated, then I stop. This started before the stretches and suck training, so I don't think it's because of that, though it well may be an oral aversion because he hates things in his mouth (bottles, pacifiers, fingers) unless HE puts them there.

Quoting Seximama23: If he isn't making enough wet diapers. .and you feel something is off look into it. Does he act like he wants to nurse but once he starts he doesnt..he may have oral aversions from the stretches and suck training.
Quoting LeapBaby123:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

If your mommy radar is off then i would definitely not ignore it! I have no idea what it could be, it may be nothing, it could be something, I dont know. Is there a way you can work less hours for now?

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I'm not even sure who to go to because I've been to see IBCLCs and LLLL and they haven't been able to help. His pedi isn't particualy breastfeeding friendly (well, she's friendly about it, just not particularly knowledgable) so I'm afraid to go to her. I only work 36hr in 2 weeks, but it's 12 hour shifts, which I can only cut down if I quit my job :(

Quoting Precious333:

If your mommy radar is off then i would definitely not ignore it! I have no idea what it could be, it may be nothing, it could be something, I dont know. Is there a way you can work less hours for now?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM

:( I'm sorry. Maybe the IBLCL has a recommendation? What about holistic care of some sort, or maybe someone can recommend a breastfeeding knowledgable doctor? Maybe try emailing someone like dr. Sears, or Dr. Jay Gordon? In my area there are quite a bit of holistic doctors.

Quoting LeapBaby123:

I'm not even sure who to go to because I've been to see IBCLCs and LLLL and they haven't been able to help. His pedi isn't particualy breastfeeding friendly (well, she's friendly about it, just not particularly knowledgable) so I'm afraid to go to her. I only work 36hr in 2 weeks, but it's 12 hour shifts, which I can only cut down if I quit my job :(

Quoting Precious333:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have a high palate? Have you checked to make sure you don't have high lipase? (Not that it would affect his nursing pattern).

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM
I'll look into it. His chiropractor is very holistic so maybe I can ask her if she has any recommendations. I've been pretty much house bound since he was born and it's next to impossible to schedule anything because it takes so much time to get him to nurse at all.

Quoting Precious333:

:( I'm sorry. Maybe the IBLCL has a recommendation? What about holistic care of some sort, or maybe someone can recommend a breastfeeding knowledgable doctor? Maybe try emailing someone like dr. Sears, or Dr. Jay Gordon? In my area there are quite a bit of holistic doctors.

Quoting LeapBaby123:

Quoting Precious333:

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I'm not sure how to check for a high palate? He's had several ibclc's fingers in his mouth, would they have noticed? And no high lipase that I can tell. Frozen milk doesn't smell or taste different to me. He will occasionally take some from a bottle, and sometimes it's frozen and sometimes fresh.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Does he have a high palate? Have you checked to make sure you don't have high lipase? (Not that it would affect his nursing pattern).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)