Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Quitting coldturkey while pregnant

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

Yes i just found out i am pregnant 5 weeks, i am still nursing my 19 month old. But the nipple pain was too much from the pregnancy. Yesterday was the first day she went cold turkey. Shes doing better today.

but my question is howmlong will it take for them to dry up or stop hurting? They are so full i just went up a whole full cup size

by on May. 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM
It's really.not good to quit all at once if she's been nursing on a daily basis still. You can try cabbage leaves in your bra, ice packs, and hand expressing just enough to relieve discomfort. My nipples were tender throught the pregnancy; I just made sure he opened really wide to latch on. He was more tolerable than the pump I had.
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
You really can't quit cold turkey. You are risking mastitis and the fever is not good for the unborn baby. Wean down one feeding a week (or every few days to comfort).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM
This. Quitting cold turkey isn't just putting you at risk, your baby is at risk as well. Either drop one session every few days or shorten each session by a minute or two every day, then eliminate them one at a time when they're short. You likely won't dry up until closer to 12 weeks.

Quoting Cleo07: You really can't quit cold turkey. You are risking mastitis and the fever is not good for the unborn baby. Wean down one feeding a week (or every few days to comfort).
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Thats not a good idea. You can get clogged ducts, or even worse mastitis. Mastitis can make you pretty sick, all the way to a fever. Your still going to have boob pain weather you wean or not. My ds weaned himself when i was about 14 weeks pregnant. Im 27 weeks now & still have tender boobs.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Yes, what they said!

Quoting K8wizzo: This. Quitting cold turkey isn't just putting you at risk, your baby is at risk as well. Either drop one session every few days or shorten each session by a minute or two every day, then eliminate them one at a time when they're short. You likely won't dry up until closer to 12 weeks.

Quoting Cleo07: You really can't quit cold turkey. You are risking mastitis and the fever is not good for the unborn baby. Wean down one feeding a week (or every few days to comfort).
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Ditto what they said ^! Cold turkey is dangerous for you and the new baby!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I agree with tge above. Inatead limit nursing session, like only nurse until you are done singing twinkle little star. Gl
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I'm with them!^^^

Good luck! And congrats on your pregnancy!
Maks1mommy
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
I got pregnant when ds was about 7 months old he weened at about a year, he was 11 months old actually when he official stopped, he hated the way my colostrum tatsed. He didn't like it but we slowly stopped because I knew it could end up hurting me, and I wanted him to get as much as he could before we stopped, since I didn't plan of him quitting until 2 years.
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on May. 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM
What they all have said. Congrats on the baby!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN