Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this normal?

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

Is it normal for a pediatrician to constantly question a babies size? I don't know if any one remembers but my son had some growth issues early on. His lowest after birth weight was 6.4lbs around 1 week old and now at 4 months he's 11.1lbs. He's also gotten 4 inches taller and his head has grown too. He is constantly growing at this point and has been for a few months but he's only in the 1% on the growth charts. I think he is doing just fine but his pediatrician is still questioning why he's not bigger. I allowed him to take blood this last well check to test for metabolic issues and iron levels which all came back normal. At this point I feel like my son has proven he's perfectly healthy and I'm not concerned at all. Pediatrician however still wants him to do weight checks. Is this a normal experience for breastfed babies because I never had my pediatricians question my other two formula fed babies half this much.

by on May. 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
For some pediatricians that is normal. They like to weigh and measure and calculate. That's why they like formula, because they can measure what goes in and judge the result. The weight checks can be a subtle way, or not subtle way, of making mother doubt herself more and more and warm up to the doctors idea of supplementing and transitioning to formula. I'm quite frustrated for you that your baby is heartily demonstrating growth and health and your doctor is still making you do extra appointments for weight checks. They are billing you/insurance company for every one of those appointments.

What percentile have they decided he *should* be at? There are 100 little points on the growth chart and babies at every single one of them, all healthy, especially when they're plotting along their own curve like you said your ds is doing. Taking a baby at 1 percentile and telling them they *should* be at the 5th instead is as ludicrous as taking one in the 9th and telling mom he needs to get down to the 50th.

You are not describing a pediatrician I would be happy about seeing for the next 18 years.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Pediatricians are like this because they do not know how normal breastfeeding babies grow, or how breastfeeding works. I would be in the market for a new pediatrician, or learn to smile and nod, then ignore. They don't realize that the growth rate they expect would result in huge 12-month-olds! Percentage charts are largely useless and most often based on formula fed babies. Everyone can't be at the 50th or 100th percentile--some babies have to be other places on the chart. If diaper count is good, he's gaining an average of one pound and one inch per month, with good diaper count, all is well!
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Alot of pediatrician's are just ignorant when it comes to breastfed babies. If you dont feel comfortable with a dr, change. Look around your area for a more knowlagable dr on breastfeeding.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
By the way I'm wondering if they're using the right growth chart for your baby. The "old chart" was based on formula fed babies and the newer WHO chart uses breastfed babies as the standard for normal expected human nutrition/growth with formula as the deviation. 11 pounds isn't a small 4 month old.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, check to make sure the growth charts are from 2007 or after. They will still say CDC on them but the source should be WHO. This makes a difference in where your baby falls on the growth chart!

Quoting mostlymaydays: By the way I'm wondering if they're using the right growth chart for your baby. The "old chart" was based on formula fed babies and the newer WHO chart uses breastfed babies as the standard for normal expected human nutrition/growth with formula as the deviation. 11 pounds isn't a small 4 month old.

ShadowWaters
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I'll have to check next visit because he keeps his computer print out pretty much himself.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yes, check to make sure the growth charts are from 2007 or after. They will still say CDC on them but the source should be WHO. This makes a difference in where your baby falls on the growth chart!

Quoting mostlymaydays: By the way I'm wondering if they're using the right growth chart for your baby. The "old chart" was based on formula fed babies and the newer WHO chart uses breastfed babies as the standard for normal expected human nutrition/growth with formula as the deviation. 11 pounds isn't a small 4 month old.

ShadowWaters
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Things with him just aren't sitting right with me. He's told me my oldest son at 4yrs old is over weight which he is a big kid but is exactly on target for how he's always grown. He focuses on how small my youngest son is. He's messed up weight checks (they said he hadn't gained then said they messed up actually he'd gained 11oz!). The icing on the cake that has made me really think it's time to get a new pediatrician is this 4 month well check. The handout and advice they gave of what to expect was stuff I don't agree with at all like I should start giving him juice in a bottle, he should start eating solids, and he should be sleeping through the night. It's just so far from what I think is healthy and from how I've raised my other two. My dh doesn't see it as a big deal and likes the pediatrician but I'm thinking it's time to pull the mommy knows best card lol

Quoting MusherMaggie: Pediatricians are like this because they do not know how normal breastfeeding babies grow, or how breastfeeding works. I would be in the market for a new pediatrician, or learn to smile and nod, then ignore. They don't realize that the growth rate they expect would result in huge 12-month-olds! Percentage charts are largely useless and most often based on formula fed babies. Everyone can't be at the 50th or 100th percentile--some babies have to be other places on the chart. If diaper count is good, he's gaining an average of one pound and one inch per month, with good diaper count, all is well!

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
He's going against aap recommended practices. Time for a new doc.

Quoting ShadowWaters:

Things with him
just aren't sitting right with me. He's told me my oldest son at 4yrs
old is over weight which he is a big kid but is exactly on target for
how he's always grown. He focuses on how small my youngest son is. He's
messed up weight checks (they said he hadn't gained then said they
messed up actually he'd gained 11oz!). The icing on the cake that has
made me really think it's time to get a new pediatrician is this 4 month well check. The handout and advice they gave
of what to expect was stuff I don't agree with at all like I should
start giving him juice in a bottle, he should start eating solids, and
he should be sleeping through the night. It's just so far from what I
think is healthy and from how I've raised my other two. My dh doesn't see it as a big deal and likes the pediatrician but I'm thinking it's time to pull the mommy knows best card lol

Quoting MusherMaggie: Pediatricians are like this because they do not know how normal breastfeeding babies grow, or how breastfeeding works. I would be in the market for a new pediatrician, or learn to smile and nod, then ignore. They don't realize that the growth rate they expect would result in huge 12-month-olds! Percentage charts are largely useless and most often based on formula fed babies. Everyone can't be at the 50th or 100th percentile--some babies have to be other places on the chart. If diaper count is good, he's gaining an average of one pound and one inch per month, with good diaper count, all is well!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Remember, the doctor works for you!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM

That's a reason for there to never be a "next visit." Unless you live 100 miles from the nearest alternative. I'd be looking for another pediatrician right now, or a family practitioner.

Quoting ShadowWaters:

I'll have to check next visit because he keeps his computer print out pretty much himself.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)