Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ummm Questions ... ... ...

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM
  • 29 Replies

So I may get some questioning looks over this one so to speak...

But can anyone tell me what I could use if I wanted to slow down milk production or what I could if I wanted to that? See I pretty much got DS talking a bottle at this point(granted he hates it but I've got him to do it as long I'm holding him while he's taking it if I'm around him then he's all good with it.) but I feel like I may need to slow down production soon, what with the fact that he's taking in more food now too and all...

So I wanted to do could anyone tell how I might try and do that?

Thank you ladies...

by on May. 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM
How old is the baby? Are you pumping for the bottles or using formula? How much milk is he getting right now?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Taking the bottle and giving more solids will do it.

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Quoting mostlymaydays: How old is the baby? Are you pumping for the bottles or using formula? How much milk is he getting right now?

baby is 9months old. yes pumping, well actually I've been hand expressing milk because I can't find a good pump I can afford and the one I have sucks...

Ummm, still trying to figure out how much he'll take at once ect... today was our frist successful day but I still have quit a bit of milk built up in the freezer...

I am just asking because in the next few weeks I may be looking to slow down my production... (not sure yet... but thinking about it.)

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 19, 2014 at 6:49 AM
2 moms liked this
He will need 24-30 oz per day u til his birthday, even though he is eating solids. Howmuch are you expressing in 24 hrs? Are you making sure to get up every 3 hrs at night to express even if he's sleeping through? To slow down production you just express less and less milk during the day, but make sure that he gets a minimum of 24 oz of breastmilk or formula in 24 hrs or you will be depriving him of the nutrition that he needs to grow.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM
He should still be getting breastmilk or formula as his main source of calories through the first year. Not sure what your goal is ? Shortening and eliminating expression would be what I would do, and just let the baby nurse. Any expressed milk could be given by cup.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 19, 2014 at 8:45 AM

24-30oz even if he takes tons of food he needs 24-30 oz til he is one.  Here at 9 months I doubt you can get that unless you are REALLY dealing with oversupply and hand expressinge very 2-3 hours.  I have an ovrsupply and when away barely make enough with a hospital grade pump.

Are you wanting to totally wean from the breast? Are you wanting to go to all expressing? Using current milk or stored milk? Depending on your goal the answer will vary

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM

What they said^

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Are you working on weaning with giving bottles,etc? Or, what is your goal?

The only thing you need to do to slow down milk production is to reduce demand. Expressing more than nursing will do some... Or, if you're planning to fully wean, drop a session per week and production will slow with the decreased demand
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Well I'm not sure what you'd call it with all the terms they use on here or what have you(cuz I'm not good with terms and such like that , that I hear on here all the time) but I simply want to wean him off the breast and on to the bottle and nothing more...

Call it what you want but maybe I'm just done mentally if nothing else, but I feel like , him being nine months and all that it is for best... getting him on track to being off breast milk at around one, which is what me and dh want(yes I know they don't have to be off bf at one but it is what me and dh want...)

Just a personal prefrence, nothing more...

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Are you working on weaning with giving bottles,etc? Or, what is your goal? The only thing you need to do to slow down milk production is to reduce demand. Expressing more than nursing will do some... Or, if you're planning to fully wean, drop a session per week and production will slow with the decreased demand

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
You're wanting to exclusively pump for the next 3 months?

If that's the case, you definitely don't want to do anything specific to reduce supply, it's likely you will have trouble keeping up anyway. Remember that he needs 24-30oz of either human milk or formula, so if you aren't able to express enough, get donor milk or formula.

Continuing to nurse for at least a few sessions per day can help you to maintain supply, but not sure if that's something you willing to do.

Quoting Sun_Shine_990:

Well I'm not sure what you'd call it with all the terms they use on here or what have you(cuz I'm not good with terms and such like that , that I hear on here all the time) but I simply want to wean him off the breast and on to the bottle and nothing more...

Call it what you want but maybe I'm just done mentally if nothing else, but I feel like , him being nine months and all that it is for best... getting him on track to being off breast milk at around one, which is what me and dh want(yes I know they don't have to be off bf at one but it is what me and dh want...)

Just a personal prefrence, nothing more...

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Are you working on weaning with giving bottles,etc? Or, what is your goal? The only thing you need to do to slow down milk production is to reduce demand. Expressing more than nursing will do some... Or, if you're planning to fully wean, drop a session per week and production will slow with the decreased demand

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)