Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

sore nipples?

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 4:02 AM
  • 13 Replies
To latch my son I point my nipple towards the roof of his mouth, tilt his head back a bit, and make sure his bottom lip is out like the lactation consultant told me but when he first latches my nipples hurt really bad. Enough to make your toes curl and catch your breath.. anyone have any tips? It hurts for about the first minute or two and then I'm fine, but oh that minute feels like forever.
by on May. 19, 2014 at 4:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM
How old is baby? Can you take pictures of his mouth when crying and his upper flip when you flip it up?
bth.klh
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM
He is six days old. I can try and get some pics. Yesterday was my first full day nursing. He has been on a gi tube. But he is amazing at nursing its just when he latches it really hurts.

Quoting K8wizzo: How old is baby? Can you take pictures of his mouth when crying and his upper flip when you flip it up?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Pain that goes away is pretty normal and you're already doing the best things for it. Time is the cure from that point.

I'm not thinking ties because the pain DOES go away.

bth.klh
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Quoting bth.klh: He is six days old. I can try and get some pics. Yesterday was my first full day nursing. He has been on a gi tube. But he is amazing at nursing its just when he latches it really hurts.

Quoting K8wizzo: How old is baby? Can you take pictures of his mouth when crying and his upper flip when you flip it up?
bth.klh
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I added pictures.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Gorgeous!!

Sore nipples always happened to me at that time, the first 2 weeks. Lanolin cream is your friend. :) apply after each feed and wipe off before attaching him next time
CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Also a cabbage leaf in your bra helps with full aching breasts and sooths the nipples as well. Exchange when they get warm and start to wilt (every 3-4 hrs)
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM
He's beautiful! It should ease up over the next week or two. If it doesn't, let us know.
yellow14
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Completely normal, it hurt really bad for about 2 weeks then it didn't hurt
bth.klh
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Thank you guys! I just wanted to make sure it was normal.. my first son never latched so I just pumpes hith him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)