Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastmilk changing after birthcontrol ?

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM
  • 36 Replies

Mobile Photo

It seems like my milk has gotten soapy smell and taste and I just started taking my birthcontrol 10 days ago, any one else had this problem ?
by on May. 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Never heard of taste changing but it can seriously reduce your supply. Be careful if your baby is under a year .
Lyng25
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:03 AM
The supply hasn't changed at all , but my milk has changed to a soapy taste and smell after I take it out the fridge and the only think I have done different is I started to take birth control that the doctor prescribed me
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 19, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It has nothing to do with your birth control. You have high lipase. To stop the lipase from breaking down the fat and causing the soapy taste, scald it before storing it. (Heat it on the stove just until the edges boil, then let it cool and then store)
Analugojana
by Christine on May. 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM
But if your baby doesn't seem bothered by the taste, don't do it. Scalding decreases a bit the quality of the milk.

Quoting stepconfused182: It has nothing to do with your birth control. You have high lipase. To stop the lipase from breaking down the fat and causing the soapy taste, scald it before storing it. (Heat it on the stove just until the edges boil, then let it cool and then store)
Lyng25
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM
But what causes lipase to begin , like it just started doing that to my milk a All of sudden and I just happen to start my birthcontrol at the same time
booaura
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Birth control can change your milk, but as long as baby is still nursing like normal, I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lyng25
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM
He will only take fresh milk now , the pas 5 days he was taking it but very slow and his feeding schedule was off but I noticed he doesn't like to take the bottle for long with the fridge milk :(
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Your milk always has lipase, just not in the amount that causes the excess breakdown of the lipids. It varies between women as to when this occurs. I noticed it to happen right around 2-3 mos post partum with both my kids. Some notice it right from the beginning. How old is your baby?

Quoting Lyng25: But what causes lipase to begin , like it just started doing that to my milk a All of sudden and I just happen to start my birthcontrol at the same time
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 19, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I have heard of moms with borderline lipase issues having higher lipase issues after starting the minipill, is that what you are taking? I don't know why and no science can explain it but I have seen it happen.  You can scald your milk before storing to see if it helps but you must scald then freeze.

Lyng25
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM
My baby is now 2 months and 1 week and I'm taking birth control that the doctor prescribe , she's know I'm breast feeding and said this birthcontrol was best for breastfeeding moms
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)