Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

expressed milk souring?

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • 8 Replies
I'm frustrated/worried! DH and I are going away to Alaska at the end of July for a week. I am very well aware it could be the end of my nursing career--but after 6 pregnancies, 4 live births, and 4 nurslings over the past 6.5 years, I'm ok with it...and I kinda expect baby will go right back to nursing when I come back..

anyways I'm building a stash, and increasing my supply...both of which seem to be working. But I've been pumping an oz here and an oz there throughout the day, refrigerating, then combining them into a freezer bag in 4oz (that's usually what he drinks if given a bottle) increments.

yesterday, one of the ozs looked funky...smelled funky...tasted funky...

too much lipase?? How do I curve that? Its not sour, like make baby puke sour right?

I just don't want to be wasting liquid gold!

Then sometimes, I've just immediately dropped it into the freezer....Im not sure how much is going to have this problem!!
by on May. 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM
For high lipase, scald the milk after pumping, before refrigerating or freezing. Kellymom.com should have further information on high lipase.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM

SOme babies will take high lipase milk, you will have to experiment and find out.  SOme milk wont go bad if you freeze immediately experiement there too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

btw Gdiamante was away from her nursling up to I think it was 10 days t a time and still came back and nursed fine, so its all on what mom and baby want

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Yep, a week is nothing. **smile** The thing to beware of is forgetting to pump while you're away and winding up hurting.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I read that carotine & vit b helps.
sarajordan2008
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM
I REALLY want to continue to nurse. I feel really bad leaving them--I never have...but poor dh needs time too!

Quoting gdiamante:

Yep, a week is nothing. **smile** The thing to beware of is forgetting to pump while you're away and winding up hurting.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Cutting back on sugar helps high lipase.
sarajordan2008
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I'm on a pretty cautious diet--it would be natural sugar from 3 cups of fruit.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Cutting back on sugar helps high lipase.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN