Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dd will be 5 months in a week

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM
  • 3 Replies
and I need to know if my supply is going down? ok so she has ties which I can't get fixed because we don't have any extra money. I was advised to block feed which I did for a few weeks but discontinued about a week ago now dd is cluster feeding and I do seem to be"empty" when she switches and she is taking both breasts each feed. yesterday she was attached to me from about 5pm to 11:30pm and only took a few 20 min breaks to sleep. she has plenty of diapers but im concerned that if my supply has reduced too much she may not get what she needs because of the ties and end up losing weight.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I would NOT say to block feed with ties! block feeding lowers supply, you dotn want lowered supply!

SOunds like a growth spurt to me though

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Your supply probably did drop due to the block feeding. But last night's behavior? Just what you want. That will counter reduction form the block feeding.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Never Block feed  with unadressed ties!! 

Let baby feed on demand and do breast compressions to help with the milk. Keep an eye on her weight. I know shes crazy overgained so far, so in theory she could level out for a little while. But with the ties i wouldn't be comfortable with that. I would prefer to see a gain even if its on the low side of normal. 

Watch diaper count. But usually diapers isn't where you will see the issues with a tie baby. They often can get the volume they need but the extra work to get it ends up burning alot of calories. 

Do you pump? I would reccomend pumping first thing in the morning every morning. This way you have a small stash if you ever need it and you'll already have a pump response. You don't want low supply and no pump response. 

Ideally you'll be able to make it to 1 without issues but better safe then sorry especially when you have known issues with baby (ties) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)