Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surprise...any advise?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am currently nursing my 9 month old.  I am weaning from breast to bottle but would still like to coninue to pump milk for her for at least until she's one.  I just found out I'm pregnant and my first appointment isn't for a couple of weeks.  Is it ok to continue nursing/breast feeding, or should I stop all together?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM

if the 9mo old is happy to keep nursing then theres no reason to wean because of pregnancy. theres actually a few moms in here who did successfully nurse through pregnancies.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Keep nursing that baby as long as you're both comfortable. Your body can do it all and if it cant then the supply will go first. No harm will come to the pregnancy. Do keep in mind that you need to up your valories again to continue to suppky both. I nursed through most of my first trimester this time. We quit since ds was 3 and weaning anyway but its definitely doable. I might recommend not switching to a bottle. The pregnancy may definitely decrease your suppky and using a pump instead of actually nursing will only make that more so. You can still use a bottle sometimes. I understand the need to transition but if you're hoping to provide milk until a year you'll nwant to keep baby at the breast part of that time as well.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I have nursed during five pregnancies and completely through two of them. I am currently nursing the two year old and then month old.

I would definitely not switch to bottle right now. Usually your supply takes a dive while pregnant. There were times I couldn't even squeeze a drop out but the toddler still nursed and got some.
emkirkley
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM

it's fine as long as you don't have a history of miscarriages and even then, the research is lacking.

booaura
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Its fine. I'm ebf my four month old and I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant with twins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
No reason to wean her to a bottle at this stage. Continue to nurse, and offer a bit of water in a cup. And pumping during a pregnancy is not a great idea. Nursing is fine, though.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM
I nursed through my entire 2nd pregnancy and then tandem nursed!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:24 PM

YES yuo can continue, EPing is TOUGH and plan to see a serious drop in output even if n ot pregnant so with pregnancy it will most likely be worse.  Now when nursing you could for sure maintain enough til a year, almost all moms who get pregnant at this point have enough when nursing.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

You are a rarity!!

Quoting booaura: Its fine. I'm ebf my four month old and I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant with twins.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM
This! And pretty much everything else that has been said above!

I am tandem feeding my 2 year old and 8 month old sons as I write this!

Quoting Marti123: I nursed through my entire 2nd pregnancy and then tandem nursed!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)