Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've made it 6 weeks EP.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM
  • 24 Replies
4 moms liked this

So far, I've made it 6 weeks and 2 days exclusively pumping.

I sleep for a 4-5 hour chunk at night and pump pretty much whenever my boobs tingle during the daytime LOL which = about every 1 1/2 to 3 hours. I kind of try to mimic how my older kids nursed/slept so my body remembers it easier. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but my supply hasn't seemed to have any issues.

I pump about 6 oz when I wake up after a 4-5 hour chunk, then anywhere from 2-4oz every time I pump during the day time.

The hospital actually told me I'm making too much milk, and compared to what I make (and donated in the past) with a term baby, this is no where near my normal milk supply, but at least it's hanging in there and I should be able to meet his needs, even if I had to EP for 2 years. (but omg, please pray in a few weeks he'll be doing well enough to start learning/practicing breastfeeding my poor boobs hate pumping.)

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM

you are doing great!!

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Great job! I admire your dedication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOK
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM

i pumped exclusively for a year with my middle son and for about 8 months with my daughter.... It's rough in the beginning. With some bumps along the way. But you know your body better than anyone else . Keep it going! XO

kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I was told I was lucky my milk even came in due to having my babies at 24 weeks... I really don't want to be EP for 1-2 years, I will if I *have* too, but my goal is to take my baby home breastfeeding if possible. So far, he's not showing signs of oral aversion, he likes breastmilk on his pacifier and his oral stimulation with it being rubbed on his lips - he has a huge need to suck, which will hopefully help.  He's 30 weeks 3 days (6 weeks and 2 days old) adjusted right now and where having some issues getting his lungs to push forward like they should.

He didn't get steriods before he was born, so his lung disease from prematurity is pretty severe right now.

I got my supply up thinking i was going to be trying to meet the needs of two babies, but his twin brother passed away over mothers day weekend, and since I'm averaging 24-30oz per day, i'm kind of just hoovering right now, because he odoesn't even use more then 2 oz of milk in a day between oral stuff they use my milk for, and his tube feeding.

Quoting MommyOK:

i pumped exclusively for a year with my middle son and for about 8 months with my daughter.... It's rough in the beginning. With some bumps along the way. But you know your body better than anyone else . Keep it going! XO

MommyOK
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

LOL by a deep freezer and start packing it away so you have so much in advance if ever needed :) I admire you for doing this and not giving up!

Quoting kajira:

I was told I was lucky my milk even came in due to having my babies at 24 weeks... I really don't want to be EP for 1-2 years, I will if I *have* too, but my goal is to take my baby home breastfeeding if possible. So far, he's not showing signs of oral aversion, he likes breastmilk on his pacifier and his oral stimulation with it being rubbed on his lips - he has a huge need to suck, which will hopefully help.  He's 30 weeks 3 days (6 weeks and 2 days old) adjusted right now and where having some issues getting his lungs to push forward like they should.

He didn't get steriods before he was born, so his lung disease from prematurity is pretty severe right now.

I got my supply up thinking i was going to be trying to meet the needs of two babies, but his twin brother passed away over mothers day weekend, and since I'm averaging 24-30oz per day, i'm kind of just hoovering right now, because he odoesn't even use more then 2 oz of milk in a day between oral stuff they use my milk for, and his tube feeding.

Quoting MommyOK:

kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I'm too far from my house to put it in a deep freezer. I'm staying near the nicu which is 6 hours round trip from my house. If I'm sitll pumping when I get him home, then I will buy one if I have too.... but I have some time to see how that's going before I'd decide to invest in one.

I don't go home really except once every 2 weeks or so for less then 24 hours. I get kicked out of the place i'm staying if I'm gone for more then 24 hours, they consider you vacating your room if you aren't here for 24 hours.

Quoting MommyOK:

LOL by a deep freezer and start packing it away so you have so much in advance if ever needed :) I admire you for doing this and not giving up!

Quoting kajira:

Quoting MommyOK:

rfhsure
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Great labor of love you're doing! I hope you're able to get him nursing in time. Awesome job!
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
6 weeks already?! You're doing well. Can you send home a package of frozen milk every week or so on dry ice so your nanny can get it in a deep freezer for you?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You're doing so well! Hang in there--you won't regret it. It's the best thing you can do for Wyatt.
MistyMoo
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Great job! It's hard at times, but once you get into a routine it gets a bit easier! Glad it's going well for you so far :) I EP for about 6 weeks, then once I felt more confident, I started getting DD to eat from the breast. Honestly, if I hadn't have done that, I probably wouldn't have made it this far..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)