Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Broken pump, soooo stressed...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am just venting to others that may understand, because DH does NOT!!

I WOH, and must pump. My power cord officially fried today, pump = totally not working. It's old and Medula is overnight shipping a new one. But this leaves me totally engorged and just stressed for what 24 hours. I have no hand pump and even if I buy one, who has time for that? I guess I could what rent one for 24 hours?? But that requires time off work, hell I might as well just go feed the baby.

So if I don't pump, that means no milk, and despite scalding, DD prefers fresh milk, not frozen. So she'll eat even less than usual. I know she won't starve, but the whole situation is just stressing me out.

I'm in tears, worried about engorgement and mastitis and cranky hungry baby and DH texts, "we can talk about it tonight, what's for dinner?"

WTF is wrong with him?!? uGH!!!!
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Can you hand express at all? I know it's hard to take off work.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Google Marmet technique for hand expression.

Tell your husband MILK is for dinner.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Some people say their Avent hand pump is quicker than their electric. $40 ish for a hand pump, or if you're desperate price check rentals at a medical supply store. Some moms are pretty awesome at hand expression
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:51 PM

My avent hand pump was faster and had better output than the hospital grade medelas that I used.  Cheap at target/walmart.  Or, hand express.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Depending on what medela you have, you can use the parts as a hand pump (annoying, but doable).  If you have a piston, it attaches to the parts that screw on to the bottle and you can pump that way.

iSMILEheCRIES
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM
You should be able to buy an adaptor at walmart, best buy, radio shack
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM
One would think right? I totally agree! But it's 2007 pump, which was 12v and they now are all 8v.

Normally I'd just buy a new pump, but with daycare doubling this summer and unexpected dental work bill, sports fees, I am now on such a tight budget, boohooooo!

But it's all going to work out, just had a very small melt down trying to "manually milk" this morning!

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: You should be able to buy an adaptor at walmart, best buy, radio shack
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Oh, and always thinking about you and Gemma, love seeing her on Facebook!

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: You should be able to buy an adaptor at walmart, best buy, radio shack
polkaspots
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Sit I the floor and hand express into a bowl placed in front of you. It's extremely frustrating and time consuming, but it will make the pain stop...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)