Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk donations

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

have any of you donated and/or sold your breastmilk??

i saw a post on craigslist for someone iso breastmilk but it looked like it was some sort of creeper looking to satisfy a fetish. it sort of interested me though and i looked into different milk banks in the area. none of them compensated for breastmilk but i do think it might be a good thing to do for someone in need.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I've donated to moms in need. I refuse to sell because I think that's wrong. I don't think it's right that even milk banks charge moms in need close to $5 an oz for something that's basically produced for free. I was pumping for my baby and I made more than he ate. No extra effort on my part so why charge for something I was doing anyway.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I've donated and used milk from donors. 

Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If I had extra I would gladly donate it to a baby in need, but I could never sell it. I'm not judging anyone that does, it just feels wrong to me.

cheribabii831
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM

i think thats wrong for milk banks to charge mothers in need that much if the milk has been donated without any sort of compensation

Quoting shortyali: I've donated to moms in need. I refuse to sell because I think that's wrong. I don't think it's right that even milk banks charge moms in need close to $5 an oz for something that's basically produced for free. I was pumping for my baby and I made more than he ate. No extra effort on my part so why charge for something I was doing anyway.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Yeah. One mom I donated to was being charged $4.75 an oz and insurance wouldn't cover it. They tried just about every formula out there and they all turned the baby's stomach. They had maxed out their credit cards and used up their savings. She couldn't re-lactate because she was in treatment for leukemia. It just didn't seem right to me.

Quoting cheribabii831:

i think thats wrong for milk banks to charge mothers in need that much if the milk has been donated without any sort of compensation

Quoting shortyali: I've donated to moms in need. I refuse to sell because I think that's wrong. I don't think it's right that even milk banks charge moms in need close to $5 an oz for something that's basically produced for free. I was pumping for my baby and I made more than he ate. No extra effort on my part so why charge for something I was doing anyway.

cheribabii831
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM

:(

Quoting shortyali: Yeah. One mom I donated to was being charged $4.75 an oz and insurance wouldn't cover it. They tried just about every formula out there and they all turned the baby's stomach. They had maxed out their credit cards and used up their savings. She couldn't re-lactate because she was in treatment for leukemia. It just didn't seem right to me.
Quoting cheribabii831:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I donate to my sister and a friend I met through Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook.

I donated to a milk bank before I knew how much they charged. The only "compensation" I received was a thank you letter and one pair of bamboobies reusable breast pads. You could apply for reimbursement for your pump, but only if it had been purchased within 3 months....I bought mine 5 months before I donated 5000 ounces to them...grrrr! Lol Oh and they also sent me 100 milk storage bags, but I think that was because I planned on donating consistently! It was a really long process to even be get qualified, I had to get an ok from my PCP and my son's pediatrician (saying that he would not suffer any I'll effects from not getting that milk, lol) fill out a 100 question health survey, have my blood tested (the bank paid for that) they sent me a cooler and box with supplies and directions and I had to fill it up carry it down 3 flights of stairs and take it to UPS, I had to be late to work to drop it off.....it was a very annoying process!

Lol, sorry about the vent, in short, I'm all for FREE donation, donations that are both given and accepted freely.

I would sell my milk under very certain specific circumstances, but I definitely prefer donation.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I donate to my sister and a friend I met through Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook.

I donated to a milk bank before I knew how much they charged. The only "compensation" I received was a thank you letter and one pair of bamboobies reusable breast pads. You could apply for reimbursement for your pump, but only if it had been purchased within 3 months....I bought mine 5 months before I donated 5000 ounces to them...grrrr! Lol Oh and they also sent me 100 milk storage bags, but I think that was because I planned on donating consistently! It was a really long process to even be get qualified, I had to get an ok from my PCP and my son's pediatrician (saying that he would not suffer any I'll effects from not getting that milk, lol) fill out a 100 question health survey, have my blood tested (the bank paid for that) they sent me a cooler and box with supplies and directions and I had to fill it up carry it down 3 flights of stairs and take it to UPS, I had to be late to work to drop it off.....it was a very annoying process!

Lol, sorry about the vent, in short, I'm all for FREE donation, donations that are both given and accepted freely.

I would sell my milk under very certain specific circumstances, but I definitely prefer donation.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Well if the bank I donated to charged that much, they made nearly 25,000!!! I know they process the milk, pay labcorp for blood tests and pay shipping costs, but I know full well it didn't cost $25,000 to homogenize 5000 ounces of milk and they say they don't profit. SMH! I wish I had known about HM4HB and/or Eats on Feets at the time!

Quoting shortyali: Yeah. One mom I donated to was being charged $4.75 an oz and insurance wouldn't cover it. They tried just about every formula out there and they all turned the baby's stomach. They had maxed out their credit cards and used up their savings. She couldn't re-lactate because she was in treatment for leukemia. It just didn't seem right to me.

Quoting cheribabii831:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)