Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE newborn - no wet diapers in 24 hours

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ds I is 48 hours old and had 5 wet diapers and 5 poopy diapers the first 24 hours but only 2 poppy diapers and no wet ones in the past 24 hours. He's slightly jaundiced but the pedi was ok with seeing him tomorrow instead of today. He has been nursing every 2-3 hours and I can hear swallowing although my milk hasn't come in yet. Should I worry?
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Was there urine in the poopy diapers? I would latch him every 2 hrs rather than waiting until 3.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM
If you can hear swallowing, your milk is most likely in.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM

If he's jaundiced at all I wouldn't go longer than 2 hours.  More than likely there was urine in those poopy diapers, and those count for 2, so you've had 4 diapers in the past 24 hours.  

I personally wouldn't worry unless you get less than that, or if you really don't think there's any urine at all in the poopy diapers. 

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM
It's really hard to tell. He has those diapers with the wet sensory strip and those do not indicate wetness, but maybe there's a little? I just can't tell.

Quoting K8wizzo: Was there urine in the poopy diapers? I would latch him every 2 hrs rather than waiting until 3.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Adding to this... if you don't see poopy diapers in 24 hrs, that is also a cause for concern. Keep baby skin to skin as much as you possibly can and nurse, bare minimum, every 2 hrs.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

If he's jaundiced at all I wouldn't go longer than 2 hours.  More than likely there was urine in those poopy diapers, and those count for 2, so you've had 4 diapers in the past 24 hours.  I personally wouldn't worry unless you get less than that, or if you really don't think there's any urine at all in the poopy diapers. 

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM
There is poop thankfully!

Quoting K8wizzo: Adding to this... if you don't see poopy diapers in 24 hrs, that is also a cause for concern. Keep baby skin to skin as much as you possibly can and nurse, bare minimum, every 2 hrs.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

If he's jaundiced at all I wouldn't go longer than 2 hours.  More than likely there was urine in those poopy diapers, and those count for 2, so you've had 4 diapers in the past 24 hours.  I personally wouldn't worry unless you get less than that, or if you really don't think there's any urine at all in the poopy diapers. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
He's already ahead on diapers. Only one per day of life is needed the first week, and poopy diapers count as two. Keep him skin-to-skin with you even when he's not actively nursing; offer the breast at every wiggle.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I probably should have spelled that out more because I was meaning poopy diapers, not just wet, because of the jaundice, but didn't seem that way in my post. :)

Quoting K8wizzo: Adding to this... if you don't see poopy diapers in 24 hrs, that is also a cause for concern. Keep baby skin to skin as much as you possibly can and nurse, bare minimum, every 2 hrs.
Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this
Ok I see pee!!!

It must be coming out above the indicator strip so it's not registering, but I can see it AND smell it. Whew!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM
This!

Quoting MusherMaggie: He's already ahead on diapers. Only one per day of life is needed the first week, and poopy diapers count as two. Keep him skin-to-skin with you even when he's not actively nursing; offer the breast at every wiggle.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)