Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood in baby's stool

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM
  • 22 Replies
LO is almost one year old. Everytime he eats more than a few bites of solids, he gets really constipated and there's blood in his stool. Every time after we've gone to the ER, then to the pediatrician, and they always tell me the same thing... It's not an infection, and he probably has a food allergy. But it's anytime he eats anything at all. Is his body just not ready for solids? Is it normal for babies to be exclusively breastfeed for over a year? I was planing on letting him self wean, but I thought he'd also be eating solids by one year.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Red blood? Are you sure it's not from an rectal tear, from pushing hard stool if he is constipated? Before one solids should be regarded as fun experimenting with a variety of tastes and textures. What kinds of foods is he eating? Is he passing hard stools?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM
What Stacy asked..... how much blood is it?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM
How old is he?
scraphappy12
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Ask for a referral to a Peds gi doc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaBlue92
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Yes, red blood. This time it might be, idk. The other times the stool wasn't even all solid. It was in between solid and watery. This time it was very solid, the most solid it's ever been if that makes sense.. He doesn't even eat solids every day. Maybe a couple of times a week, only a few bites. Anymore than that and he becomes constipated. His stools are usually somewhat hard.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Red blood? Are you sure it's not from an rectal tear, from pushing hard stool if he is constipated? Before one solids should be regarded as fun experimenting with a variety of tastes and textures. What kinds of foods is he eating? Is he passing hard stools?
BellaBlue92
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:57 PM
The first time it seemed like a lot. The second time only a little, same with the last time.

Quoting K8wizzo: What Stacy asked..... how much blood is it?
BellaBlue92
He'll be one on the 27th.

Quoting K8wizzo: How old is he?
BellaBlue92
What is that?

Quoting scraphappy12: Ask for a referral to a Peds gi doc.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM
So you've seen blood on 3 occasions or its a chronic problem? When my one ds started solids he had blood from tears in his rectum, which baffled the heck out of me because the stool was semi-solid, but the fact that he was PUSHING instead of the liquid poop blowing through on its own, made the tears. Why do they suspect food allergies? Have you observed this after a particular food? When I first read your post I was thinking this was chronic bleeding you've noticed for months and they were suspecting a cow protein allergy or something. Still trying to figure out if this is an intestine issue or a butt issue.

Quoting BellaBlue92: The first time it seemed like a lot. The second time only a little, same with the last time.

Quoting K8wizzo: What Stacy asked..... how much blood is it?
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The hard stools tell me his body isn't ready for the solids or he's not nursing enough before getting them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)