Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much exercise is too much?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM
  • 13 Replies
What's the point where the toxins can enter the breast milk? I started brisk walking on the treadmill for 40+ minutes a day but I don't want to continue if it could hurt baby. Also how much water is too much? I drank over 175 oz today :S I was thirsty! I try to drink a 750ml bottle every time I nurse since that's when I inevitably get the most thirsty.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Drink to thirst, don't force more than you're thirsty for though. I drink about that much. As far as exercise, you're fine... no worries about toxins entering your milk from exercise, that concern is from detox shakes, pills, wraps, etc. We have lots of running moms in this group who train for and run half marathons and marathons while nursing (half is 13.1 miles, full is 26.2, training runs are long as well), so you needn't worry about any amount of brisk walking that you do. :) Enjoy and get outside--fresh air and sunshine beat the dreadmill any day of the week (this from a running mom).
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You'd have to commit death by exercise to be worried. (Although sometimes even a light workout can feel like death by exercise!)

MommyJill87
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Was gonna say I lift/cardio 3-6 times a week and have never heard of it. :)
polkaspots
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM
The only time you can drink too much water is if you're drinking instead of eating meals. Days when I'm out and about I can drink about 150 ounces. I don't really keep track at home, but it's usually more than 100 ounces. I have 33 ounce bottles that I refill a few times a day with fresh cold water.
And the only time you can exercise too much is if your body is suffering because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:44 AM
Sweet! I had heard/read somewhere that losing too fast releases toxins so I got worried, but now it's game on lol :)

Quoting gdiamante:

You'd have to commit death by exercise to be worried. (Although sometimes even a light workout can feel like death by exercise!)

Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM
I am always thirsty :( maybe I got dehydrated somewhere along the line and I'm still making up for it? These last couple days I have felt amazing though :)

Quoting K8wizzo: Drink to thirst, don't force more than you're thirsty for though. I drink about that much. As far as exercise, you're fine... no worries about toxins entering your milk from exercise, that concern is from detox shakes, pills, wraps, etc. We have lots of running moms in this group who train for and run half marathons and marathons while nursing (half is 13.1 miles, full is 26.2, training runs are long as well), so you needn't worry about any amount of brisk walking that you do. :) Enjoy and get outside--fresh air and sunshine beat the dreadmill any day of the week (this from a running mom).
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:48 AM
I read it somewhere, can't remember where. I think probably when I planned on doing Insanity. I've got awhile before I'll come close to being able to do that, not to mention my chiropractor would probably shoot me if I tried right now lol

Quoting MommyJill87: Was gonna say I lift/cardio 3-6 times a week and have never heard of it. :)
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:49 AM
I don't think I could skip eating lol. We've got a lot of fruits and veggies going on right now :)

Quoting polkaspots: The only time you can drink too much water is if you're drinking instead of eating meals. Days when I'm out and about I can drink about 150 ounces. I don't really keep track at home, but it's usually more than 100 ounces. I have 33 ounce bottles that I refill a few times a day with fresh cold water.
And the only time you can exercise too much is if your body is suffering because of it.
polkaspots
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:00 AM
That's great. We don't eat a lot of fruits, but we eat a lot of vegetables. My family is full of apple and banana eaters. They don't like much else.

Quoting Cassie2115: I don't think I could skip eating lol. We've got a lot of fruits and veggies going on right now :)

Quoting polkaspots: The only time you can drink too much water is if you're drinking instead of eating meals. Days when I'm out and about I can drink about 150 ounces. I don't really keep track at home, but it's usually more than 100 ounces. I have 33 ounce bottles that I refill a few times a day with fresh cold water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I get dehydrated with anything less than 16 8 oz glasses of water per day. I stay in the 22-25 glass range most days and feel good. I did have water intoxication once when I was pregnant but I was rrinking more than that, trying to keep preterm labor contractions at bay. At this point, as long as I stay within my normal range I'm fine, and my doctor thinks my body just needs more water than the average person's.

Quoting Cassie2115: I am always thirsty :( maybe I got dehydrated somewhere along the line and I'm still making up for it? These last couple days I have felt amazing though :)

Quoting K8wizzo: Drink to thirst, don't force more than you're thirsty for though. I drink about that much. As far as exercise, you're fine... no worries about toxins entering your milk from exercise, that concern is from detox shakes, pills, wraps, etc. We have lots of running moms in this group who train for and run half marathons and marathons while nursing (half is 13.1 miles, full is 26.2, training runs are long as well), so you needn't worry about any amount of brisk walking that you do. :) Enjoy and get outside--fresh air and sunshine beat the dreadmill any day of the week (this from a running mom).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)