Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

MIL says I should stop BF!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM
  • 36 Replies

My dd is 11 months old. She's still bf throughout the day. However, she has been self-weaning herself for the past couple of weeks. Regardless, I am still bf her when needed and plan to keep doing so until she is completely ready to stop. I've done quite a bit of research on the benefits of bf and have found it to be 100% the BEST thing for my child. 

Over the weekend, my MIL says, "So...you're gonna stop nursing her aren't you?" I replied, "Well, not until she's ready. We decided that we wanted to have her bf as long as possible because it is the absolute best thing for her." My MIL looked at me with a disgusted face and say, "Hmm...well...ok then."

Seriously lady? What do you care if I'm still nursing my child? I'm a SAHM and have the opportunity to nurse her, so why wouldn't I? It's the best thing for her nutritionally, emotionally, etc. It seems silly to me that my MIL is concerned about when I'm going to stop nursing her. Gah. 

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
As many of us are fond of saying, "in-law" is a suffix that means "to be ignored". That being said, your daughter should still be getting the majority of her nutrition from breastmilk for another month or so. Babies rarely self-wean before 18-24 months. Continue to nurse fully immediately before solids for another month so.
proudsahm148
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Haha. I haven't heard that before, but I LOVE it!

Thanks. I'm doing exactly that. She's not nursing as often as she was 2 months ago, but she's still nursing 5-6 times a day. Since day one she has gone between 3-4 hrs between feedings. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: As many of us are fond of saying, "in-law" is a suffix that means "to be ignored". That being said, your daughter should still be getting the majority of her nutrition from breastmilk for another month or so. Babies rarely self-wean before 18-24 months. Continue to nurse fully immediately before solids for another month so.

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM
We ofically made it ti a year despite commebts from tge ignorant...drs inlaws strangers a lafy at the airport hahahha you'll make it if you want to :) I'm still bfing and plan on going till we are dine whenever that is.
proudsahm148
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM

The IL's are ALWAYS trying to stuff food down dd's throat when we're at family dinners. They think that at this age table food is more important for her, which is obviously not true at all.

Quoting spitfire06: We ofically made it ti a year despite commebts from tge ignorant...drs inlaws strangers a lafy at the airport hahahha you'll make it if you want to :) I'm still bfing and plan on going till we are dine whenever that is.

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Remi is almost seven months and I've been getting "when are you going to stop" since I was pregnant! My boobs=my prerogative. (I totally sang the song in my head while typing that). To me its more than his food. It's his comfort. I'm not just going to snatch it away. Nobody had a problem with my formula fed child dragging around a stuffed tiger for five years.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM

The minute you started solids you started weaning if anyone asks yes you are weaning...LOL sure its at your own pace and her own pace but its still weaning.  Dont forget to offer as they get into toddlerhood they will forget to nurse but arent self weaning.selfweaning is when they refuse to nurse

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Inlaws suck..my dd is a mommys girl she doesn't like other ppl and other ppl don't really get to close to her bc I don't like it when she cries hahaha so they kewp their distance unless she's going up to them..plus I think I was a royal bitch wheb I was pregnant haha stay awayyyy :p

Quoting proudsahm148:

The IL's are ALWAYS trying to stuff food down dd's throat when we're at family dinners. They think that at this age table food is more important for her, which is obviously not true at all.

Quoting spitfire06: We ofically made it ti a year despite commebts from tge ignorant...drs inlaws strangers a lafy at the airport hahahha you'll make it if you want to :) I'm still bfing and plan on going till we are dine whenever that is.

proudsahm148
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Thanks for the tip! Honestly, she could take or leave nursing at this point. She does really enjoy nursing at the end of the night before bed though. Definitely a comfort for her. I'm still nursing throughout the day though because she doesn't turn away or refuse it YET. Ha.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

The minute you started solids you started weaning if anyone asks yes you are weaning...LOL sure its at your own pace and her own pace but its still weaning.  Dont forget to offer as they get into toddlerhood they will forget to nurse but arent self weaning.selfweaning is when they refuse to nurse

proudsahm148
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha. My IL's aren't horrible all the time, but they definitely have their moments. They also have an issue thinking that it's their "right" to tell us what we should/shouldn't do with our lives. 

Quoting spitfire06: Inlaws suck..my dd is a mommys girl she doesn't like other ppl and other ppl don't really get to close to her bc I don't like it when she cries hahaha so they kewp their distance unless she's going up to them..plus I think I was a royal bitch wheb I was pregnant haha stay awayyyy :p
Quoting proudsahm148:

locaporbebe
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM
I have someone regularly telling me to give him a bottle because he only likes me and he would be more social if others could feed him. He is so friendly is it insane he just doesn't want people to hold him other than his immediate family. I just laugh. Inside I want to punch her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)