Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What do you think?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 27 Replies

Lately, the only part of Facebook that I have paid much attention to is my local badass breastfeeder group. Today, I came across a post where a mom was asking about getting her 11 week old baby to take a bottle. I was about to drive, so I replied quickly with this:
Why do you want the baby to take one from you? It is like having fresh baked cookies and offering stale Oreos.
I got home and this one person jumped all over me about it. I was trying to copy the conversation, but my computer is stupid today and I don't know how to take a screenshot on my phone.

What do you think about what I said?

*I'll update with the rest of the details when I can.

UPDATE: 

• Amy Elizabeth Hanrahan Why do you want the baby to take one from you? It is like having fresh baked cookies and offering stale Oreos.

• XXX Maybe she has to? Supply?? Not everyone can keep up with their baby and shouldn't feel bad about it.
  • Amy Elizabeth Hanrahan I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. Knowing what's going on will determine what advice is best for the situation.
  • XXX "It's like having fresh baked cookies and offering stale Oreos"
  • Amy Elizabeth Hanrahan It's the reason why most breastfed babies won't take a bottle from mom. It is a fact. Facts shouldn't make anyone feel bad.

The next few comments from her were deleted, but she disagreed that what I said was a fact and asked for some proof that a pediatrician has uttered that statement. LOL

• Amy Elizabeth Hanrahan I would never quote a pediatrician on a breastfeeding matter because most are not educated in lactation.
    It IS a fact that babies have a super sense of smell and can smell their mom's milk even when she's in another room. Many babies refuse a bottle when they can smell their mother nearby because they want it fresh from the tap. I never said that ALL babies will refuse. There are some who will take a bottle from anyone.
  • GROUP ADMIN: Admin post, I can see this is getting a bit touchy. Please remember this is a gentle parenting group and we ask our moms to be gentle in our responses, agree or disagree, being polite and kind is always expected.
  • Another Preson: Because it's hard to read tone in text, I'm gonna jump in and say I *think* all Amy meant was that someone else should try to offer the bottle.
  • Amy Elizabeth Hanrahan I'm sorry. I typed my initial reply really quickly right before I drove home from work and left out a lot of what I usually say. I guess it came off more critical and that was not my intention.
  • XXX Yes, it came of rude and harsh and instead of initially apologizing you tried to justify your response. Making people feel bad because they have to supplement is just ridiculous. She was asking for advice on how to get her baby to take a bottle not a lecture on fresh baked cookies v.s stale cookies. Just kind of thought it was unnecessary.
  • GROUP ADMIN: XXX, using terms like ignorant isn't helpful or kind. I was addressing the entire thread, not just Amy.
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM
I don't think it's bad. Why would someone have an issue with that?!?
angelicmom1984
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM
I don't think you said anything bad. It's true lol, and this is coming from a mom who has tried everything to get her baby to tacky any style bottle. Baby would rather have mom than a substitute. :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Apparently, she took it as I was attacking anyone who gave their babies bottles. I guess she supplements and felt like I was attacking her. I NEED to get my computer working so I can copy it.

Quoting shortyali: I don't think it's bad. Why would someone have an issue with that?!?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM
What group? Te badass breastfeeder?
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Nothing you said was offensive. She probably feels guilty for whatever reason and is being overly sensitive.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
The Northern California group based on the Badass Breastfeeder.

Quoting mama-smurf: What group? Te badass breastfeeder?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM
So overly sensitive that she called me ignorant for the stale cookies comment.

Quoting cabrandy03: Nothing you said was offensive. She probably feels guilty for whatever reason and is being overly sensitive.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Ehhh, I don't have much truck with anyone who takes Facebook that seriously.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Apparently, she took it as I was attacking anyone who gave their babies bottles. I guess she supplements and felt like I was attacking her. I NEED to get my computer working so I can copy it.

Quoting shortyali: I don't think it's bad. Why would someone have an issue with that?!?

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Oh, good grief. I understand you meant that mom's got the good stuff and baby won't take substitute from said mom. Some people get themselves riled up over nothing, and if she's in the bad ass breastfeeders group you must all be cut from the same cloth.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Of I'm not apart of that lol. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's actually true. LCS and even doctors use comparisons like that. My LC said don't give formula to autumn. Why give the baby a nasty knock off. Food for no reason when you got the real deal?

Quoting aehanrahan: The Northern California group based on the Badass Breastfeeder.

Quoting mama-smurf: What group? Te badass breastfeeder?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)