Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What is wrong with my boobs?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM
  • 32 Replies

Seriously, this is the second medela pump i've worn the motor out on in 8+ weeks.

The first medela pump I had, lasted me 2 years!!! And then finally died on me... did the quality of the medela go down since I bought that one like 4 years ago?

I can hand express, and use the hand pump and get more milk now then my medela, and I can literally *hear* the motor change over time the more I use it, it sounds like it's really, really struggling to work as it pumps, then the sucking starts to slow down and even on max, my nipples are barely moving.

I've changed tubes, wires, valves, deep cleaned everything, bought new external everything... and the motor just eventually gives out.

My other one just broke to the point where the front panel just finally fell off when the motor basically exploded on me.

I used my other pump 3-4x a day with my daughter that lasted 2 years, not 24/7 to exclusively pump for a nicu baby.

This whole pump fiasco is costing me a crap ton of money since they are 200+ a pop. WTF... I know i'm not a total idiot when it comes to pumping.... this one made it about a month, i'm going to see if walmart will take it back and just exchange it for me. :(

Hand expressing and using the handpump is making my arms tired.

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

We have seen a decline with Medela. For exclusive pumping I'd only use Medela's Lactina model, not a "Style" model. But check out Hygeia instead.

OvenInUse
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM
My insurance only allowed me to use an approved medical supply company from a list they sent me. None of them offered a Medela product which is what I have used in the past. We ended up with the Ameda Purely Yours and I love it! It's so much easier to clean and that's a big plus in my book. I don't miss my Pump in Style at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM

They are sending me a new pump. The valve inside the motor had a small tear in it. I have to get our recite re-printed out, and it's good for motor warrenties for a year... so if I wear them out again, they'll keep replacing them.

I'm not sure what one they are sending me now, but it's the highest one below the hospital grade ones, I had a 300 dollar pump, but I guess there was *one* style above what I had. I thought I had the highest one, but I guess walmart doesn't carry the one above the double electric one I bought because no one buys it.

Quoting gdiamante:

We have seen a decline with Medela. For exclusive pumping I'd only use Medela's Lactina model, not a "Style" model. But check out Hygeia instead.

kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I had the ameda from my insurance and I didn't respond to it. I've really only had good luck with the old fashioned hand pumps and Medelas, I use it on the highest suck setting.... which is probably why I burn their motors out.

Quoting OvenInUse: My insurance only allowed me to use an approved medical supply company from a list they sent me. None of them offered a Medela product which is what I have used in the past. We ended up with the Ameda Purely Yours and I love it! It's so much easier to clean and that's a big plus in my book. I don't miss my Pump in Style at all.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Yes; they're not made to handle that in constant use.

Quoting kajira:

I had the ameda from my insurance and I didn't respond to it. I've really only had good luck with the old fashioned hand pumps and Medelas, I use it on the highest suck setting.... which is probably why I burn their motors out.

Quoting OvenInUse: My insurance only allowed me to use an approved medical supply company from a list they sent me. None of them offered a Medela product which is what I have used in the past. We ended up with the Ameda Purely Yours and I love it! It's so much easier to clean and that's a big plus in my book. I don't miss my Pump in Style at all.

kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I don't have a choice, my poor boobies are finally getting to the point now where they respond to the lower suck settings, which is why my hand pump is finally working for me while I wait for my new pump to get here... but it takes it a while to respond with out a baby latching on.

I nursed a friends baby for a day and that helped my boobs work better.

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes; they're not made to handle that in constant use.

Quoting kajira:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Is it the freestyle maybe? I used a lactina when I was EPing and also have used a symphony.... my output was far better with my avent manual but you can't do that 24 7.

Quoting kajira:

They are sending me a new pump. The valve inside the motor had a small tear in it. I have to get our recite re-printed out, and it's good for motor warrenties for a year... so if I wear them out again, they'll keep replacing them.

I'm not sure what one they are sending me now, but it's the highest one below the hospital grade ones, I had a 300 dollar pump, but I guess there was *one* style above what I had. I thought I had the highest one, but I guess walmart doesn't carry the one above the double electric one I bought because no one buys it.

Quoting gdiamante:

kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The hospital grade pumps are the symphony's when i'm at the nicu.

They work okay, and their valves are a lot more durable, they really need to make hardier plastic on the valves for the non hospital grade ones.... I guess I expect better when you spend 300 on a pump.

Quoting K8wizzo: Is it the freestyle maybe? I used a lactina when I was EPing and also have used a symphony.... my output was far better with my avent manual but you can't do that 24 7.
Quoting kajira:

Quoting gdiamante:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Other than that, how are things going today?
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

aww that sucks! Sorry youre having so much trouble with them! I got my PIS last july and use it 3-4 times a day on the highest setting and no problems here so far *FX* hopefully it was just a defective pump and your new one will be good to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)