Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

working and pumping question

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 17 Replies
I.started working again but my shifts are 4-6 hours per work day. I have a double electric pump I use however it doesn't run on batteries, just electrical cord. The restroom has no outlet and that's where I'm allowed to pump so I haven't been pumping for my shifts (4 days of the last 2 weeks). I have twin 4 month olds. Should I talk to my manager about using his office to pump (and essentially kick him out) or will my supply stay up even if I don't pump? I work in a restaurant if that matters.
Update: I.spoke with my manager and I can use the office. :) we employ 63 people at this location.
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I worked same amount of time while breast feeding. Im the owner of the business. But i think u should bring it up. The bathroom? Eeww Can u even really relax while pumping?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Unless they reverse cycle for you, you will need to pump once if not twice while you are away to maintain supply. Can you get a hand pump?
jazzy411
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Probably not. Especially with people constantly coming and going. :/

Quoting hismommy2010: I worked same amount of time while breast feeding. Im the owner of the business. But i think u should bring it up. The bathroom? Eeww Can u even really relax while pumping?
hismommy2010
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Ask for a better option. U could try hand pump but they arent as good, plus if u cant relax where ur pumpn hand pump will be more stress.

Quoting jazzy411: Probably not. Especially with people constantly coming and going. :/

Quoting hismommy2010: I worked same amount of time while breast feeding. Im the owner of the business. But i think u should bring it up. The bathroom? Eeww Can u even really relax while pumping?
jazzy411
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM
How can I get them to reverse cycle? Do they sell hand pumps at target or Walmart?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Unless they reverse cycle for you, you will need to pump once if not twice while you are away to maintain supply. Can you get a hand pump?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Find somewhere else to pump. You can throw a loose shirt over your pump to be completely hidden so you don't have to be in the bathroom.
It's not a good idea to not pump at work. You need a minimum of eight ounces a day unless they don't drink it. If you can get that milk without pumping at work, then your supply will regulate, but it's not a guarantee.
Here's how I see it. Find somewhere else to pump. Get an extension cord. Continue not pumping at work and add in more pumping sessions at home, like morning, before work and as soon as you get home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM
You can't make them. It's something some babies do because they don't like taking bottles and prefer to wait. I didn't even think of a manual pump. They sell them at target and Walmart. I have a Medela harmony that I really like.

Quoting jazzy411: How can I get them to reverse cycle? Do they sell hand pumps at target or Walmart?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Unless they reverse cycle for you, you will need to pump once if not twice while you are away to maintain supply. Can you get a hand pump?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Another option would be to get a power inverter for your car (most auto shops carry them) and pump in your car.

If the restaurant you work for has more than 50 on the payroll (and if it's a chain there will be more than 50) then they do have to make reasonable accomodations, like making the office available to you.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM
If your employer employs 50 or more people (across all locations), then they must legally provide you with a place to pump that is not a bathroom.
jazzy411
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I didn't know that :) I work at Perkins so I'm sure there are thousands of employees across the nation.

Quoting LeapBaby123: If your employer employs 50 or more people (across all locations), then they must legally provide you with a place to pump that is not a bathroom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)