Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding on the mini pill and haven't had a period in almost 3 years!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
I found out I was pregnant with my first child dec 8th of 2011 and my last period was on November 8th of 2011. On august 20th 2012 my son was born I breastfed him until he was a year old but when he was 8 months old I had very light spotting not even like a real period and got pregnant again with my daughter who was born jan 16th of this year and she is exclusively breastfed and I am on the mini pill. I'm scared because I haven't had a "real" period since November of 2011 and am taking birth control with no cycle 😕 Is this normal? My babies are 17m apart, I'm tempted to stop the pill because I feel like I'm messing up my reproductive organs or that I won't be able to conceive anymore and every now and then I have a very sharp stabbing like pain in the middle of my uterus I'm hoping someone has a similar story with a positive outcome because I'm really stressed
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM
I think the longest I didnt have a period was for 2 years, and I wasnt taking hormones. Taking hormones worries me too, but I know there are moms who have gone that long without a period naturally.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

One year is nothing. **grin** I knew a woman to go a decade without a period; three babies born in that time, no birth control at all used.

I'm not a fan of pills,mostly because I can't be bothered to remember them. Condoms are far easier to remember and they've never been a problem here. But no, birth control will NOT mess up your uterus. 

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes nursing is enough to hold off your period. My last cycle was on 2/18/12, I only remember that date because it was my oldest's birthday party at chuck e cheese and I spent most of it in the bathroom because my cycle was that heavy. Found out the following month I was pregnant and had my DS2 on 11/16/12. Nothing since. I am using the Paragard for bc. It's non hormonal so it's the nursing holding it off.
maggster42006
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:40 AM
I was on the mini pill and breastfeeding as well. I did get periods but they were pretty irregular. I also got the pain you were talking about so I talked to OB and he took me off of it. Pain stopped, I don't like hormones so I won't be using birth control anymore
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:53 AM

It's so normal that I'm jealous!  I took hormonal bc for one month of my life back in 2003.  Whichever brand it was, it made me moody and hormonal and I hated it, and since the boyfriend and I broke up anyway and I was ONLY using it as bc, not for hormone regulation or anything, I quit.

Got married in November of 2005, got pg in December of 2005.  Had my oldest son on August 30, 2006.  Only lasted 3 months nursing him, got my period back, had two cycles then got pg again (on purpose :) ), had my oldest daughter in October 2007 and successfully bf.  No period for 12 1/2 months, then had a light "period" for 4 days, next one came 40 days later, next was 36 days later, etc., until they regulated.  Got pg again but m/c in August 2009, then got pg again 2 months later and had my second daughter in July 2010.  No period for 11 1/2 months (and I tandem nursed for the first 3 months after she was born, too).  One period, then got pg with my second son.  Had him in April 2012 and tandem nursed him and his youngest older sister.  Got my period when he was 19 months old and got pg again, now 28 weeks pg with my third son and still nursing the two year old.

So basically, I had a handful of periods after my oldest daughter (second baby) was over a year old, the first few of which were infertile.  That was due to NORMAL bf hormones.  As you can see, I'm so fertile women hate me!  Lets say that was six periods, because I honestly don't remember how many I had.  So since November of 2005, I've had 12 periods.  Twelve periods in nearly 8 years!  It is NORMAL!  In fact, it's part of why bf is protective against reproductive cancers.  If breast cancer is estrogen responsive (not all of them are, but this works brilliantly for the ones that are) and you take away the estrogen for a ton of time (twelve years and counting, with the occasional "spike" when fertility returns, although you also have to look at how much there is during pg, so my math is off a bit here) then it's only logical that the rates of those cancers go down.  And the statistics back that up.

Pretty cool, huh?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Going without a period is no big deal.  A woman is born with the number of eggs she will have forever, by delaying periods whether it be by nursing by hormones it means you have those eggs.  Keep your body healthy and you should be fine to have more whenever you actually want to.  Now I dont like hormones and I personally advise against them for all kinds of reasons but I think you will be fine

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM
This

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Going without a period is no big deal.  A woman is born with the number of eggs she will have forever, by delaying periods whether it be by nursing by hormones it means you have those eggs.  Keep your body healthy and you should be fine to have more whenever you actually want to.  Now I dont like hormones and I personally advise against them for all kinds of reasons but I think you will be fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN