Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Seeking a solution

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 5 Replies
I'm having my second baby in a few weeks and I want to breastfeed her or at the very least pump. I'm unsure about putting her to the breast because I want her to take bottles. When my son was born I gave him the breast and every time I tried the bottle he refused. I don't want the same thing to happen again. How do you get a baby to take both bottle and breast from the very beginning?
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Your other baby didn't take the bottle because YOU were giving it. I call it the stale cookie scenario:

You go visit grandma and notice she's baking your favorite cookies. There's a batch cooling on the kitchen counter. You go to grab a cookie, and she slaps your hand and hands you a box of stale Nilla wafers.

You'd think Grandma had gone nuts, right?

Your breasts: Fresh baked cookies.

Bottle: Stale Nilla wafers. Baby thinks you've gone nuts! Baby knows you've got the good stuff right there, and doesn't understand why you're trying to give him what in his mind is a cheap substitute.

The trick? Mom NEVER NEVER NEVER has anything to do with Operation Bottle. Bottles are given by dad or other caregivers when mom's not in the house. Because if you're in the house, baby can SMELL you and the milk. So hand baby to Dad and leavew, with strict instructions: Only call me for blood or flames. **grin** Dad will do fine. Really!

All that said: Avoid bottles at least for the first three weeks and preferably the first six because you're getting supply established.

Also know that dad feeding is the least bonding thing he can do. Put him in charge of diapering and bathing; those are far better bonding tools because they're very interactive.

JjcH0911
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:34 AM
My newborn will do both and switch back n forth between breast milk and formula when I was bf.. I HAD to stop tho. Just see what your baby does on it's own .
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't. You get breastfeeding established first, for about sisx weeks. Your baby's mouth on the breast enables the milk to be tailored especially for him in terms of antibodies and nutritional content. When you begin to pump, baby is only offered a bottle when you can't be there, never by you or even if you are in the vicinity. If a bottle is being given, you should be somewhere else pumping to maintain your supply. Babies will do for others what they won't do for moms. There are also other things that can be used besides bottles: droppers, syringes, shot glasses. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" for more information, especially paced bottlefeeding procedure.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I agree with the above.

Also, there are some.bfed babies that refuae to take a bottle, there are other ways to feed them when you are away, like using a cup :)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Yep, this!

Quoting gdiamante:

Your other baby didn't take the bottle because YOU were giving it. I call it the stale cookie scenario:

You go visit grandma and notice she's baking your favorite cookies. There's a batch cooling on the kitchen counter. You go to grab a cookie, and she slaps your hand and hands you a box of stale Nilla wafers.

You'd think Grandma had gone nuts, right?

Your breasts: Fresh baked cookies.

Bottle: Stale Nilla wafers. Baby thinks you've gone nuts! Baby knows you've got the good stuff right there, and doesn't understand why you're trying to give him what in his mind is a cheap substitute.

The trick? Mom NEVER NEVER NEVER has anything to do with Operation Bottle. Bottles are given by dad or other caregivers when mom's not in the house. Because if you're in the house, baby can SMELL you and the milk. So hand baby to Dad and leavew, with strict instructions: Only call me for blood or flames. **grin** Dad will do fine. Really!

All that said: Avoid bottles at least for the first three weeks and preferably the first six because you're getting supply established.

Also know that dad feeding is the least bonding thing he can do. Put him in charge of diapering and bathing; those are far better bonding tools because they're very interactive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN