Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about milk I send to daycare

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM
  • 28 Replies
Ok so I have been sending four 3.25 oz bottles to dat care for my 4 month old in a 9 hour day ...we'll he acts starving after each bottle!! My hubby stayed home with him today and confirmed he really does need more...he us a big kid 95th percentile for everything...so should I send more milk? I feel bad I don't want him to starve ...I know what Kelly mom says but it doesn't seem like enough. Thx!
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
You're already sending too much milk.

Are they pace feeding? Size of the baby doesn't matter. My 9lb 5oz baby didn't eat any more than my 6lb 11oz baby. In fact my smaller babies actually seem to eat more than my larger babies.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM
The bottles when you're away aren't supposed to be *satisfying*. When the bottles become happily filling you will start to look like the bad deal and baby will start to refuse the breast. That's why we all firmly back up the 1-1.25 ounce per hour recommendation. The awesome abundance of milk should come form mom, not bottles.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Is the slowest flow newborn nipple and paced bottlefeeding procedure being used? He should be held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, and burped after every ounce.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM
http://santabarbaralactation.com/blog/paced-bottle-feeding-breastfed-baby
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

He's not starving. If he can make noise, he's nowhere NEAR starving. THe fussier they are the less they're starving. Starvation happens in SILENCE... worry about the baby who's NOT crying and fussing.

If a caregiver needs baby stuffed into a stupor then the caregiver isn't competent.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM
I agree with paced feeding. If baby takes a paci, you can try that right after feedings in case baby is wanting to comfort suck. That's what I told my daycare and it worked. I will say, all if my friends who sent huge bottles were not able to keep up and none lasted anywhere near 1 year, I was still going strong. If he's as big as you say he must be gaining, and not starving.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Exactly this!
Look up bottle feeding the breastfed baby on kellymom.com. It explains how to feed the bottles so the baby doesn't eat too fast and act like he needs more when it is gone.
The video posted above is great also.

Quoting mostlymaydays: The bottles when you're away aren't supposed to be *satisfying*. When the bottles become happily filling you will start to look like the bad deal and baby will start to refuse the breast. That's why we all firmly back up the 1-1.25 ounce per hour recommendation. The awesome abundance of milk should come form mom, not bottles.
Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Respectfully....

As a competent daycare employee, it's much more about baby's happiness than our need for baby to be "stuffed to a stupor." I agree with all the bottle feeding breast fed baby guidelines and not only follow them but help other moms with babies in my room understand them too 😊 . The reality is that some babies are gonna cry. A lot. Unless they're totally satiated by the feeding. And there's only so much we can do with 7 other infants to care for. Again I reiterate, totally on your side.. Just showing a little but more if the picture 😃

Quoting gdiamante:

He's not starving. If he can make noise, he's nowhere NEAR starving. THe fussier they are the less they're starving. Starvation happens in SILENCE... worry about the baby who's NOT crying and fussing.

If a caregiver needs baby stuffed into a stupor then the caregiver isn't competent.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Amy, thanks for the input. Are you referring to an 8:1 ratio for infants? Here in CA it's 4:1.

Quoting Amycapl: Respectfully.... As a competent daycare employee, it's much more about baby's happiness than our need for baby to be "stuffed to a stupor." I agree with all the bottle feeding breast fed baby guidelines and not only follow them but help other moms with babies in my room understand them too 😊 . The reality is that some babies are gonna cry. A lot. Unless they're totally satiated by the feeding. And there's only so much we can do with 7 other infants to care for. Again I reiterate, totally on your side.. Just showing a little but more if the picture 😃
Quoting gdiamante:

Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Oh god no! We're 4:1 also with classrooms of 8:2.

Quoting gdiamante:

Amy, thanks for the input. Are you referring to an 8:1 ratio for infants? Here in CA it's 4:1.

Quoting Amycapl: Respectfully....

As a competent daycare employee, it's much more about baby's happiness than our need for baby to be "stuffed to a stupor." I agree with all the bottle feeding breast fed baby guidelines and not only follow them but help other moms with babies in my room understand them too 😊 . The reality is that some babies are gonna cry. A lot. Unless they're totally satiated by the feeding. And there's only so much we can do with 7 other infants to care for. Again I reiterate, totally on your side.. Just showing a little but more if the picture 😃

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)