Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Just had a funny convo with my mom

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this
She is all for me nursing, which is good since my last child is now 19 months old so kinda late to go back. She tried to tell me that the reason my DD is so small is because I didn't give her cereal, baby food or formula. This all came up because her boyfriends daughter had a baby 3 months ago and said baby is already 16lbs because he's been getting 8oz bottles since he was a few weeks old and cereal since he was 3 weeks and baby food at 2 months. That baby was born at 5lbs 5ozs, smaller than DD was. It doesn't matter that DS2 was fed the same way as DD either in her eyes. When I pointed out that mom was doing more harm than good and cited some current research she told me that is how she fed me and I turned out "just fine" and the current research is just to guilt older moms for doing things the way they did and to make new moms feel like they are better than their mothers and so on. I just told her that we will agree to disagree.
She finally dropped that and moved on to she heard on the news that re-using old water bottles can cause cancer and I shouldn't do that and so on because my grandfather dies from spider cancer, she has had both skin cancer and kidney cancer, my great uncle on my dads side died from prostate cancer and a few others. So I decided to flip that back on her. I told her that the new research out is just a scare tactic and I've been doing that for years and I'm "just fine" (not really but I was trying to make a point to her. She started to freak out. So I said to her that was how she just treated me. She finally saw where I was coming from. I told her that is why I'm doing what I do for my kids because cancer runs in my family and I want to help my kids either hold it off longer or prevent it all together.
I think she finally saw the light. She asked me to email her links to all that I told her and she would pass it on.
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Good! That other baby is WAY TOO BIG. 

LoveMyDog
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Harvard Med and snoops say that warm water bottles causing cancer is nonsense, but it is a bad idea to microwave plastic that isn't marked microwavable.

Somebody isn't fine just because they are still alive at what 30?  Let's go talk to some people over 90.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Both my boys were about that size at 3 months EBF, so that doesn't prove anything, babies come in all shapes and sizes despite feeding method....though her boyfriend:'s granddaughter is clearly being overfed. :-/

Glad she saw the light and asked for links. Yay for progress!! :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Wow!!! I'm glad that she saw the light! 😊
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:52 PM

awesome story

Lyssa03
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. I can't believe that... I gave my daughter minimal food at 4 months but only because she was acting like she was starving and stopped gaining weight and it was recommended.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM

We hear that a lot. Sadly, docs are horrible advisors on feeding. Four months is an age where they act like they're always starving. If they ACT that way, it's just an act; real starvation involves baby shutting down and being quiet and sleeping a lot to conserve energy. In other words, worry about the alleged "good" babies who don't give their moms trouble. **smile**

We've also seen solids actually delay gain.

Quoting Lyssa03: Wow. I can't believe that... I gave my daughter minimal food at 4 months but only because she was acting like she was starving and stopped gaining weight and it was recommended.

Lyssa03
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM
We have a second baby now and I know a lot more than I did. Hes only 2 weeks old and not getting food until much later. My bfs baby book showed he was given cow milk and food at 3 months...

Quoting gdiamante:

We hear that a lot. Sadly, docs are horrible advisors on feeding. Four months is an age where they act like they're always starving. If they ACT that way, it's just an act; real starvation involves baby shutting down and being quiet and sleeping a lot to conserve energy. In other words, worry about the alleged "good" babies who don't give their moms trouble. **smile**

We've also seen solids actually delay gain.

Quoting Lyssa03: Wow. I can't believe that... I gave my daughter minimal food at 4 months but only because she was acting like she was starving and stopped gaining weight and it was recommended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)