Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What allergy meds are safe?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • 5 Replies
We're going to visit my sister-in-law (leaving this afternoon, actually) and I just remembered she has two cats. I'm so so so allergic. She said she cleaned and washed everything really well, and they won't be allowed in the guest room, but I know they will still bother me. I haven't taken any allergy meds so far because I'm terrified of it affecting my supply, but surely something must be safe? I can't just suffer through it because I've had very close to anaphylactic reactions to cats before :( And it's not possible for us to stay elsewhere.
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Anything without D will have no effect on supply. Zyrtec, claritin, allegra, benedryl, all are fine. I would take claritin or zyrtec daily, starting a couple of days before you go to let it build up in your system. You can take benedryl on top of those if you need to. If you have serious reactions, please consider staying elsewhere. Hotel $$$ is cheaper than hospital bills.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Anything without aspirin is safe. Decongestants can sometimes cause a temporary drop in supply, which can be offset by simply drinking extra fluid.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM
I'm pretty sure te serious reaction was a one-time thing brought on by a seriously disgusting house, lol. I've actually had a few anaphylactic reactions to different things, and we just finally got my allergies under control right before I got pregnant. I will start the Allegra now! It's what always worked the best for me in the past.

Quoting K8wizzo: Anything without D will have no effect on supply. Zyrtec, claritin, allegra, benedryl, all are fine. I would take claritin or zyrtec daily, starting a couple of days before you go to let it build up in your system. You can take benedryl on top of those if you need to. If you have serious reactions, please consider staying elsewhere. Hotel $$$ is cheaper than hospital bills.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Perfect!  The allergy mama in me needs to say this.... Remember to take your epipen along!  (Here's where you can roll your eyes and say, "Thanks, Mom," in your most sarcastic teenage tone, lol)

Quoting LeapBaby123: I'm pretty sure te serious reaction was a one-time thing brought on by a seriously disgusting house, lol. I've actually had a few anaphylactic reactions to different things, and we just finally got my allergies under control right before I got pregnant. I will start the Allegra now! It's what always worked the best for me in the past.
Quoting K8wizzo: Anything without D will have no effect on supply. Zyrtec, claritin, allegra, benedryl, all are fine. I would take claritin or zyrtec daily, starting a couple of days before you go to let it build up in your system. You can take benedryl on top of those if you need to. If you have serious reactions, please consider staying elsewhere. Hotel $$$ is cheaper than hospital bills.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha, it's already packed :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

Perfect!  The allergy mama in me needs to say this.... Remember to take your epipen along!  (Here's where you can roll your eyes and say, "Thanks, Mom," in your most sarcastic teenage tone, lol)

Quoting LeapBaby123: I'm pretty sure te serious reaction was a one-time thing brought on by a seriously disgusting house, lol. I've actually had a few anaphylactic reactions to different things, and we just finally got my allergies under control right before I got pregnant. I will start the Allegra now! It's what always worked the best for me in the past.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN