Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting 10 month old to eat food

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 23 Replies
I know that breastmilk is the only thing necessary at this age, however when my 10 month old goes back to daycare at the end of August, she'll need to be on their schedule which includes being able to eat meals. Right now she's barely interested. She'll eat a few bites of purée and she lives Cheerios but any other food I try to give her she gags on or won't eat. I've given her a sippy cup with water and she's into it just hasn't gotten the mechanics yet. So what can I do to get her more interested in food?? She nurses every 2-3 hours still and through the night as well.
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rwcw89
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I use the munchkin mesh things to introduce food. Think maybe purée maybe the wrong texture ? Some kids are texture sensitive. (Ie my baby hates smooshy banana). Pretty much trial and error to see what baby like / show him you like eating it too.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM
She doesn't NEED to eat meals at daycare provided she's still getting her milk. That said I requested my daycare give her finger foods. She rarely ate anything but to us it was the social interaction and routine of mealtime not about the actual food. Offer at meals, but don't stress if she doesn't put much in her mouth. We offered food to dd daily starting at 9 mo but she didn't have much interest until closer to 15 months. No concerns from daycare either. I just requested that they didn't spoon feed her.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

All you can do is offer it. All they can do is offer it. They're not required to gavage feed her, after all. They probably have at least half a dozen kids who get the food they serve but don't eat it.

Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM
I think she does have texture issues, I'll try that mesh thing.. Thanks!

Quoting rwcw89: I use the munchkin mesh things to introduce food. Think maybe purée maybe the wrong texture ? Some kids are texture sensitive. (Ie my baby hates smooshy banana). Pretty much trial and error to see what baby like / show him you like eating it too.
Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
We're kind of a finger food/ grazing family anyway so that's a good approach

Quoting audmom1218: She doesn't NEED to eat meals at daycare provided she's still getting her milk. That said I requested my daycare give her finger foods. She rarely ate anything but to us it was the social interaction and routine of mealtime not about the actual food. Offer at meals, but don't stress if she doesn't put much in her mouth. We offered food to dd daily starting at 9 mo but she didn't have much interest until closer to 15 months. No concerns from daycare either. I just requested that they didn't spoon feed her.
Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Very true. I do have the added advantage of being the teacher in a classroom so close to their table I could literally reach over and feed her myself lol. I just want her tone happy when she moves over

Quoting gdiamante:

All you can do is offer it. All they can do is offer it. They're not required to gavage feed her, after all. They probably have at least half a dozen kids who get the food they serve but don't eat it.

terrilyne28
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM
My boy is 10 months on June 21st. He use to like his baby food (mostly meats and squash) here and there but mostly ebf. I can't get him to eat the baby food anymore. I have a closet full of baby food. After he nurses my boy needs solids now because he wants it and he seems to not be satisfied enough after nursing. Soo now he will only heat finger foods (not jarred baby food). He wants to be independent. He likes his puffs & lil' crunchies, grapes cut into 4s, hot dogs cut up small enough, cooked green beans, bananas, mac n chz, chicken, goldfish crackers, pretty much everything we eat as long as it is cut up small enough.
Amycapl
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Penny is totally satisfied with EBF lol. She's little too so she doesn't require a whole lot of calories right now

Quoting terrilyne28: My boy is 10 months on June 21st. He use to like his baby food (mostly meats and squash) here and there but mostly ebf. I can't get him to eat the baby food anymore. I have a closet full of baby food. After he nurses my boy needs solids now because he wants it and he seems to not be satisfied enough after nursing. Soo now he will only heat finger foods (not jarred baby food). He wants to be independent. He likes his puffs & lil' crunchies, grapes cut into 4s, hot dogs cut up small enough, cooked green beans, bananas, mac n chz, chicken, goldfish crackers, pretty much everything we eat as long as it is cut up small enough.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM

It sounds like she's not ready. Why let a daycare center tell you how to feed your child? I would be looking for another place.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this
That's the way it SHOULD be. Generations ago we got into big trouble putting a big plate down in front of everyone at a set time and forcing them to clean their plate. If we ate when we were hungry and only what we were hungry for we'd all be better off.

Quoting Amycapl: We're kind of a finger food/ grazing family anyway so that's a good approach

Quoting audmom1218: She doesn't NEED to eat meals at daycare provided she's still getting her milk. That said I requested my daycare give her finger foods. She rarely ate anything but to us it was the social interaction and routine of mealtime not about the actual food. Offer at meals, but don't stress if she doesn't put much in her mouth. We offered food to dd daily starting at 9 mo but she didn't have much interest until closer to 15 months. No concerns from daycare either. I just requested that they didn't spoon feed her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)