Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding question

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone else have this issue: Usually my lo feeds 15 to 20 min per side.  In the last 3 days, 3 times he has only fed for 5 to 10 min, and cried hysterically.  We called him down and tried again to feed him but he wouldn't take it and again cried hysterically.  I burped him a bunch of times.  He still had the snorting hunger cue (not sure if that is a true hunger cue).  After an hour and a half each time finally got him to eat the 15 min on each side.  The pediatrician said that at his age (6 weeks) sometimes they go through phases that they only eat 5 to 7 min total.  Not that I don't trust the pediatrician but I wanted to hear other peoples experience with it and also how long that phase lasts.

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

This is very typical growth spurt behavior. Has he had any bottles?

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Growth spurt ! They are miserable beings when this happens.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Yes, that is a hard age. Abour what time does this happen. Evening tend the be notorious for that behavoir. Do you babywear?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

The phase can last a day, it can last a LOT longer. It is normal.

yelenabv
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The first time happened mid-day, yesterday was evening, and today was morning.  My husband usually feeds the baby at night to give me a break using pumped milk but he hasnt been taking it all this week.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM
How much is he giving in the bottle. And are you getting up to pump while he gives the bottle...that a huge must do!!!
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:20 PM
How is it giving you a break when you have to get up and pump during that time so your supply doesn't take a hit? When I needed a break, DH would take the baby with him and go watch tv or walk around, then bring baby to me to feed while sleeping.

Quoting yelenabv:

The first time happened mid-day, yesterday was evening, and today was morning.  My husband usually feeds the baby at night to give me a break using pumped milk but he hasnt been taking it all this week.

yelenabv
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The milk is pre-pumped from earlier in the day.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Unfortunately, those bottles are setting you up for the problem you're seeing. The bottle is faster than the breast and baby wants the easy quick gratification. You stop the problem bstopping the bottles when you are present.

If dad wants to give you a break, he needs to do anything else that doesn't involve feeding the baby. Seriously. Feeding the baby is the very least helpful and possibly the most harmful thing he can do... and it won't make him bond better. Bathing the baby, diapering, walking and rocking and talking, any of that stuff. 

Quoting yelenabv:

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Even with pre pumped milk, you need to pump at that time to signal your body milk is needed. That bottle without pumping is telling your body that you don't need those extra ounces and it will stop making them. Then once your supply regulates it will be much harder to trick your body into making them when it's used to not having to.

Quoting yelenabv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN