Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice on breaking co sleeping..

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM
  • 10 Replies
Don't get me wrong I love sleeping with my baby, but I also have to be thoughtful of my husband and after this last week (hubby is sick,and breathing all over baby) it had made me question if I should get Noah Into his crib. I also have to lay with him his entire nap or else I'm up and down nursing the entire 2 hours. I realize having 2 hours hands free is a lot to ask for with a 8 month old but I think we would both benefit from a little alone time. I am definitely not for the CIO method but am open to any other suggestions and advice! Thanks ladies!!
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Google "Changing the sleep pattern in the family Bed." You'll find Dr. Jay Gordon's method. Best one out there but be advised, he doesn't recommend it till age one.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Put him to sleep as usual then lay him in his own bed. Every time he wakes put him back to sleep however you normally do then return him to his bed.
MamaLama710
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm having trouble with this as well. My 9mo started with napong in her bed, and has progressed to sleeping part of the night in bed part with us when she wakes up to eat. It's just to hard for me to tackle the whole night because I have no will power in the matter. She has a favorite blankie and I lay it on her bed before I lay her down. I know it's bad to let them sleep with a blanket but she won't sleep without it.

Hope you find what works for you! Baby steps!
natlogancas
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Stet with naps!
Don't lay baby down in your bed for naps. Nurse on the couch or baby cuddled up on your lap while you nurse him to sleep. "Rocking and butt or back partying help" so they don't startle as easy when placed in the crib.
But if you can get him to sleep and he's down hard enough 10min or so.
Then you can stand up and try to place him into the crib.
Might have to rock him as you put him down or even swaddle a bit. But if your persistent he should be able to nap in there.

It took us a while to get our daughter to nap in a crib lots of "almost had her down" and she'd wake up. But do it slow, and keep pressure so baby knows your still there and doesn't just jar awake!!!

Good luck. It's what worked for us. Very slowly but every step is progress.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
We still cosleep the majority of the time, but baby always goes to sleep in his own bed until he wakes up the first time, then comes into bed with us. I usually nurse or rock him to sleep, lay him down, and pat his butt or rub his back until he's really asleep.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have the crib side car, then put the front back on & slowly move the bed away over time. If the baby is just in your bed then start with Putting the crib against your bed.
Mindipeake
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Update:  Noah is still sleeping in our bed.  It was a very draining weekend trying to get him to sleep in his crib alone.  I felt awful and we barely slept. Sunday night I had had enough and brought him to bed with me it was the best sleep I've had In awhile and he woke up so cuddly this morning :).  Anyway thanks for all the advice I will definitely visit this crib idea again but for now he's staying put and daddy can sleep in the guest bed room :) 

cheribabii831
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

i had the hardest time getting oldest dd to sleep in the crib. just keep at it and hopefully it'll get easier for you

Quoting Mindipeake:

Update:  Noah is still sleeping in our bed.  It was a very draining weekend trying to get him to sleep in his crib alone.  I felt awful and we barely slept. Sunday night I had had enough and brought him to bed with me it was the best sleep I've had In awhile and he woke up so cuddly this morning :).  Anyway thanks for all the advice I will definitely visit this crib idea again but for now he's staying put and daddy can sleep in the guest bed room :) 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I can promise you with 100% certainty that this child will not be in your bed *forever*. 8 months is a tricky age as they are hitting huge developmental milestones and often starting with separation anxiety. We see lots of regression with sleep, whether the baby has always been sleeping fine in a crib or has always been sleeping in family bed. Teething at this age doesn't help either.

Quoting Mindipeake:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
((Hugs))
We usually start with naps around 18mo-24mo and starting them in the crib at night then the first time they wake the lo comes back to our bed the transition usually goes pretty well. As lo naturally sleeps longer they stay in their bed longer.

Quoting Mindipeake:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN