Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Running out of milk-need advice

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 6 Replies

So baby girl is 10 1/2 months old and I have been working full time since she was 2 months old. I was able to pump plenty of milk and built up a freezer stash. When she was 9 months old and began eating more solids at daycare, her milk intake at daycare dropped from 10-12 ounces per day to 3-6 ounces. I cut back on the solids for a bit and she began to take 8-10 oz per day. Also around that time, I decided to drop from 2 pumps a day at work to 1 pump so I could use my freezer stash. For the first month I was able to get 6-8 oz from my single pump session.  Now it is more like 4-5. I plan to keep up my one pump session until she is a year old but I will run out of frozen milk in a couple of weeks and that leaves a month to come up with an alternate milk. I don't want to add another pump session so I see these as my options:

1. Provide formula to make up the difference. (Don't know if she will take it)

2. Provide almond/coconut milk to make up the difference (what I will be offering when she is a year)

3. Provide additional solids and water

She still nurses 6-7 times per day on workdays and of course as often as she wants on the weekends. I don't think she needs the additional milk/formula at daycare for nutrition but she is used to getting 3 small bottles a day while she is there. 

Thoughts? Also, if I go the formula route, should I mix the first few bottles with breast milk to get her used to the taste?

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You forgot your fourth option: Add a pump session a day. Doesn't have to be at work, can be at home. 

Never mind, I'm reading without benefit of coffee! No option four!

But if you don't want to do that, than option three. Additional solids and water are the best choice here.

If you choose to go option1, formula straight up or not at all; mixing tends to waste the breastmilk when baby rejects the formula. You won't be making better tasting formula, but rather worse-tasting breastmilk. **smile**

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Option 3
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

option 3 is what I would do

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM
After 6 months or so if baby starts taking less while I'm away I went with it as long as they still met diaper out put and made up while I was home.
You have 2 options, go with more solids or pump more if you don't want to have to introduce formula this late in the game. She may not even take formula if you tried.
Also just asking why you upped the ozs but dropped a session? That seems like you were setting yourself up to be in this situation.
amandaut99
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM

She just decided to take more. As long as I was making 8 oz with my one session, that plus my frozen would have been enough to last to a year. Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with option 3. 

Quoting shortyali: After 6 months or so if baby starts taking less while I'm away I went with it as long as they still met diaper out put and made up while I was home. You have 2 options, go with more solids or pump more if you don't want to have to introduce formula this late in the game. She may not even take formula if you tried. Also just asking why you upped the ozs but dropped a session? That seems like you were setting yourself up to be in this situation.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Because you cut back on solids so she would take more.  Maybe I am not following this correctly.

At 10 1/2 months, I would offer more soldis when I wasnt around and then nurse more when home. 

Quoting amandaut99:

She just decided to take more. As long as I was making 8 oz with my one session, that plus my frozen would have been enough to last to a year. Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with option 3. 

Quoting shortyali: After 6 months or so if baby starts taking less while I'm away I went with it as long as they still met diaper out put and made up while I was home. You have 2 options, go with more solids or pump more if you don't want to have to introduce formula this late in the game. She may not even take formula if you tried. Also just asking why you upped the ozs but dropped a session? That seems like you were setting yourself up to be in this situation.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)