Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

im switching to formula. *update dmer?*

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • 42 Replies
dd is almost 6 months old. I can't do it anymore but she won't take a bottle. ive tried tommee tippee and medela bottles with the nipples the hospital gave me. its not really about the bottles but that she doesn't understand how to use the bottle. ive read kellymom.com "bottle feeding the breast fed baby" but all she does is chew on the nipple. ive also tried to give it to her after ive fed her just to see if she can continue sucking on the bottle.

I just read something and I think I might have dmer? I feel so depressed when I breastfeed. it does not continue past the feedings but I feel an anxiety for the next feeding. I don't particularly want to quit but I cant continue to feel like this all the time. I read ginkgo may help(I have some) but I heard you can't take it while bfeeding
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
I know you may not want to hear this but if she won't take a bottle with bm in it, what makes you think she will take one with formula?
Have you tried a sippy cup instead of a bottle? Or even a straw cup?
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I used Eveflo glass bottles.

If you're making the switch, she'll eventually get it when she gets hungry enough.

If you've given it to her after she nursed she may be just done and playing with the bottle nipple. Have someone else give her the bottles. She knows you have the boobie and would prefer that. If it's someone else she'll have less confusion that way.
blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM
ive tried both ways. dh tried to give her the bottle she got maybe 1/4 an ounce down. and was crying because she was hungry and didn't know how to use the bottle. I did it after nursing her too cause she was asleep.

Quoting smorgan865: I used Eveflo glass bottles.

If you're making the switch, she'll eventually get it when she gets hungry enough.

If you've given it to her after she nursed she may be just done and playing with the bottle nipple. Have someone else give her the bottles. She knows you have the boobie and would prefer that. If it's someone else she'll have less confusion that way.
blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I have not tried her sippy yet.

Quoting shortyali: I know you may not want to hear this but if she won't take a bottle with bm in it, what makes you think she will take one with formula?
Have you tried a sippy cup instead of a bottle? Or even a straw cup?
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM
She has a 5 month habit of breastfeeding. It's all she's ever known. It won't change overnight. Imagine eating with a fork your whole life then someone hands you chopsticks. You'd adapt eventually, but there will be struggles.

Quoting blessedmommy85: ive tried both ways. dh tried to give her the bottle she got maybe 1/4 an ounce down. and was crying because she was hungry and didn't know how to use the bottle. I did it after nursing her too cause she was asleep.

Quoting smorgan865: I used Eveflo glass bottles.

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Remi is seven months and will occasionally take avent natural if I'm not there and haven't been in quite a while. Usually he just waits for me to get back.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Are you there when shes given the bottle?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

btw bottles are easy, the reason babies have an issue with it is that they flow faster and choke them, the texture is different, baby is laying down to take it, and things like that.  Is baby fed upright? Slow flow nipple?

greenlove2013
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry to say but you might have to just keep breastfeeding til baby is one if baby won't take bottle.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

She was crying because she wanted mommy and nursing NOT because she didnt know hw to use the bottle

Quoting blessedmommy85: ive tried both ways. dh tried to give her the bottle she got maybe 1/4 an ounce down. and was crying because she was hungry and didn't know how to use the bottle. I did it after nursing her too cause she was asleep.
Quoting smorgan865: I used Eveflo glass bottles. If you're making the switch, she'll eventually get it when she gets hungry enough. If you've given it to her after she nursed she may be just done and playing with the bottle nipple. Have someone else give her the bottles. She knows you have the boobie and would prefer that. If it's someone else she'll have less confusion that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)