Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long did it take?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

How long did it take for you to wean from BFing? How did you do it? My daughter is 9 months and I'm starting to wean her, she's been taking bottles and I only nurse first thing in the morning/before bed/overnight but sometimes I nurse her before her nap as well. She's get so fussy and will scream and cry and I can't stand to see her like that so I give in and it knocks her out in minutes. I know it's not going to be an easy process and I'm going to have to see her cry but I was just wondering what you ladies did that maybe made the transition a little easier?

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I started "don't offer don't refuse" at 12 months. Weaned at 26 months. Made it VERY easy... I did absolutely NOTHING.

I've never seen mom-led weaning take less than a couple of months and have never seen it be painless or easy on mom. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:28 PM
My first I was bullied into force weaning at 7 weeks. I cried more than he did.

My DD sorta self weaned at 22 months because I was pregnant and she wasn't a fan of my milk changing.

DS2 is still nursing at 19 months and there really isn't any indication he's stopping.

Why are you wanting to wean now? Each feeding that you don't nurse needs to be replaced with either pumped milk or formula.
mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I don't wean....I allow my kids to wean when they are ready. Until one she still heeds breastmilk or formula. Sorry to say it won't be tear free if you're force weaning.

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I figured it wasn't going to be easy or painless, nothing is when it comes to babies (so I'm learning haha). Thanks for the honesty though!

Quoting gdiamante:

I started "don't offer don't refuse" at 12 months. Weaned at 26 months. Made it VERY easy... I did absolutely NOTHING.

I've never seen mom-led weaning take less than a couple of months and have never seen it be painless or easy on mom. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know.

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

To be honest, I'm just over it. I wasn't even planning on BFing and I made it to 9 months and plan on stopping totally at the 1 year mark so I'm just starting to wean her now. Every time I don't nurse I pump and give her bottles of expressed milk, she hasn't had any formula and I don't want to give her any either. My supply hasn't changed and I've been doing what I said for about a month now, give-or-take the week that I was in the hospital when I had surgery.

Quoting shortyali: My first I was bullied into force weaning at 7 weeks. I cried more than he did. My DD sorta self weaned at 22 months because I was pregnant and she wasn't a fan of my milk changing. DS2 is still nursing at 19 months and there really isn't any indication he's stopping. Why are you wanting to wean now? Each feeding that you don't nurse needs to be replaced with either pumped milk or formula.

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I know it's not going to be tearfree, I was just hoping somebody might have some advice on what helped them get through it a little bit easier. She's really good about taking bottles, the only time she gets really fussy is when she's really tired; naptime and bedtime. Other than that I have no issues.

Quoting mamabens:

I don't wean....I allow my kids to wean when they are ready. Until one she still heeds breastmilk or formula. Sorry to say it won't be tear free if you're force weaning.

suroundedbyboys
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I weaned my ds6 when he was a year, he switched to bottles very easily. I was working more and he was in daycare a few days a week so that helped.

Currently my dd is 34 months and still nurses here and there. I'm ready to be done but she isn't. She nursed insistently at nap and bedtime yesterday and nap today. Prior to that it had been a few days.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids self wean. It's easy and I have no guilt from it. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Sincere belief that what you're doing is the right thing to do. If you can't convince yourself of it, if you cannot convince the WOman In The Mirror of it, it's the wrong direction. (That applies to pretty much everything in life.)

Quoting KristinD1988:

I know it's not going to be tearfree, I was just hoping somebody might have some advice on what helped them get through it a little bit easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)