Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Biting

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

Jack got his first two teeth about a month ago. He'd been fine nursing still up until today. Now he's started biting me like crazy. We haven't gotten a full nursing session in because he keeps biting. Help?

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

What are you currently doing when he bites? 

Is he getting any bottles/solids/sippy cups etc?

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Mine never bit intentionally, so I never had to deal with it as a behavior issue. HOWEVER, I do know the pain of it because he always bit really HARD just at that moment when he drifted off to sleep. Not sure what that was all about, but I got so I anticipated it and tried to prepare by pulling him off just a little before. 

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I pull him off for a little bit and say "No biting". He gets upset that the boobie is no longer in his mouth so I'm hoping that will teach him to stop.

He gets bottles when I'm at work, solids 3-4 times a day, and sippy cups with a little bit of water occassionally but not daily.

Quoting melindabelcher:

What are you currently doing when he bites? 

Is he getting any bottles/solids/sippy cups etc?

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I don't think he's doing it to hurt me because he doesn't laugh or anything. I think he's just testing out his new teeth. He's very inconsistent about it. Some feeds he'll do it right from the get go, other times he'll only do it at the end. I can't anticipate it because there seems to be no pattern to it!

Quoting Kathy489:

Mine never bit intentionally, so I never had to deal with it as a behavior issue. HOWEVER, I do know the pain of it because he always bit really HARD just at that moment when he drifted off to sleep. Not sure what that was all about, but I got so I anticipated it and tried to prepare by pulling him off just a little before. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Treating the teething pain before nursing may help also. Remember to nurse immediately before any solids; no solids at all if he doesn't nurse nicely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)