Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Gave up with # 1, Determined to NOT with #2

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am out of places to ask and look for help. I have two kiddos. My first is almost 7 and I have a now today, 4 day old. I gave up with BF with my first due to everything in general but I've been so determined with this one to breastfeed her. But, we are having an issue with the big bird mouth and I can't even sandwhich it to enough to get in her tiny mouth. She's eating (we've been doing one breast at a time each feeding), we had a horrific scene where we did both and she threw it up EVERYWHERE and now her little belly is finally back to normal. I tried pumping but must not be doing it right even after being shown and directions because I didnt even get an ounce last night. They are so sore, and I've been using the cream for them, but literally I cry when she latches on and starts sucking because I hurt so bad. Any suggeestions. Annnd also....for her little tummys sake and mine because I eat EVERYTHING normally...what foods do you reccomend to avoid to avoid sour tummy and gas for her.

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Sounds like a lip and tongue tie. Can you post pics with her top lip flared back and her tongue while crying.
Normal pumping output is 0.5-2oz total combined for a missed feeding.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM

SOunds like a tongie and lip tie to me, you need to find a lactation consultant and as your ped too about checking for them.  You can also take pics for us here.  Pain can be normal but it shouldnt bring you to tears or curl your toes.  Mine felt slightly bruised at first when getting used to nursing.

To know shes getting enough just cuont diapers, you want one a day per day of age til a week old then its 6-8 diapers total every 24 hours.

Pumping ANYTHING at 4 days out is awesome, yuor babies tummy is very tiny, the pump doesnt get as much as baby and so dont stress about this.  It also depends on when you pump, what pump yu have etc.  Pump response is a learned thing too, not lie your body responding t the baby, thats hormones.

I gave up with my first 2 babies and have now EBF my last 3 you can do it momma, never give up on your worst day!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Quoting b3autifulmama:

I am out of places to ask and look for help.

You've come to the right place!

I have two kiddos. My first is almost 7 and I have a now today, 4 day old.

OK. First rule: You've never done any of this before. **grin**

I gave up with BF with my first due to everything in general but I've been so determined with this one to breastfeed her. But, we are having an issue with the big bird mouth and I can't even sandwhich it to enough to get in her tiny mouth.

You don't have to get the WHOLE aereola in, just a good part of it.

She's eating (we've been doing one breast at a time each feeding),

Lovely.

we had a horrific scene where we did both and she threw it up EVERYWHERE and now her little belly is finally back to normal.

Quite normal for this stage. Tell me, does your milk flow pretty quickly? The spitup is a normal reaction to fast letdown. Info on that coming up.

I tried pumping but must not be doing it right even after being shown and directions because I didnt even get an ounce last night.

If you got an ounce at night it would be a bloody MIRACLE. Don't worry about pumping. Put the pump away. REALLY. It will do nothing for you but create headaches at this stage.

They are so sore, and I've been using the cream for them, but literally I cry when she latches on and starts sucking because I hurt so bad.

Does it hurt only in the beginning or all through? In the beginning is actually normal, all through is not.

Any suggeestions. Annnd also....for her little tummys sake and mine because I eat EVERYTHING normally...what foods do you reccomend to avoid to avoid sour tummy and gas for her.

None. Sour tummy and gas are usually related to mom's letdown. Food reactions show up as funny poop or rashes. Until/unless you see either of those, there are NO foods to avoid at all.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Forceful Let-down (Milk Ejection Reflex) & Oversupply

AUGUST 20, 2011. Posted in: SUPPLY WORRIES

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Is forceful let-down the problem?

Does your baby do any of these things?

• Gag, choke, strangle, gulp, gasp, cough while nursing as though the milk is coming too fast
  • Pull off the breast often while nursing
  • Clamp down on the nipple at let-down to slow the flow of milk
  • Make a clicking sound when nursing
  • Spit up very often and/or tend to be very gassy
  • Periodically refuse to nurse
  • Dislike comfort nursing in general

If some of this sounds familiar to you, you probably have a forceful let-down. This is often associated with too much milk (oversupply). Some mothers notice that the problems with fast letdown or oversupply don’t start until 3-6 weeks of age. Forceful let-down runs the gamut from a minor inconvenience to a major problem, depending upon how severe it is and how it affects the nursing relationship.

What can I do about it?

There are essentially two ways you can go about remedying a forceful let-down: (1) help baby deal with the fast flow and (2) take measures to adjust your milk supply down to baby’s needs. Since forceful let-down is generally a byproduct of oversupply, most moms will be working on both of these things. It may take a couple of weeks to see results from interventions for oversupply, so try to be patient and keep working on it.

Help baby deal with the fast milk flow

• Position baby so that she is nursing “uphill” in relation to mom’s breast, where gravity is working againstthe flow of milk. The most effective positions are those where baby’s head and throat are above the level of your nipple. Some nursing positions to try:
    • Cradle hold, but with mom leaning back (a recliner or lots of pillows helps)
    • Football hold, but with mom leaning back
    • Elevated football hold – like the football hold, but baby is sitting up and facing mom to nurse instead of lying down (good for nursing in public).
    • Side lying position – this allows baby to dribble the extra milk out of her mouth when it’s coming too fast
    • Australian position (mom is “down under”, aka posture feeding) – in this position, mom is lying on her back and baby is on top (facing down), tummy to tummy with mom. Avoid using this positioning frequently, as it may lead to plugged ducts.
  • Burp baby frequently if she is swallowing a lot of air.
  • Nurse more frequently. This will reduce the amount of milk that accumulates between feedings, so feedings are more manageable for baby.
  • Nurse when baby is sleepy and relaxed. Baby will suck more gently at this time, and the milk flow will be slower.
  • Wait until let-down occurs, then take baby off the breast while at the same time catching the milk in a towel or cloth diaper. Once the flow slows, you can put your baby back to the breast.
  • Pump or hand express until the flow of milk slows down, and then put baby to the breast. Use this only if nothing else is working, as it stimulates additional milk production. If you do this, try to express a little less milk each time until you are no longer expressing before nursing.

Adjust your supply to better match baby’s needs

• If baby is gaining weight well, then having baby nurse from only one breast per feeding can be helpful.
  • If baby finishes nursing on the first side and wants to continue nursing, just put baby back onto the first side.
  • If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you’re more comfortable and then use cool compresses – aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
  • Avoid extra breast stimulation, for example, unnecessary pumping, running the shower on your breasts for a long time or wearing breast shells.
  • Between feedings, try applying cool compresses to the breast (on for 30 minutes, off for at least an hour). This can discourage blood flow and milk production.
  • If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.
  • Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
  • Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
  • If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you’re more comfortable and then use cool compresses – aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
  • In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
  • Additional measures that should only be used for extreme cases of oversupply includecabbage leaf compresses and herbs.

Even if these measures do not completely solve the problem, many moms find that their abundant supply and fast let-down will subside, at least to some extent, by about 12 weeks (give or take a bit). At this point, hormonal changes occur that make milk supply more stable and more in line with the amount of milk that baby needs.

Sometimes babies of moms with oversupply or fast let-down get very used to the fast flow and object when it normally slows somewhere between 3 weeks to 3 months. Even though your let-down may not be truly slow, it can still seem that way to baby. See Let-down Reflex: Too Slow?for tips.

Additional Information

Too Much Milk? by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Oversupply by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Tips for taming a monster milk supply by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Gaining, Gulping, and Grimacing? by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC

Oversupply: Too Much Milk by Anne Smith, IBCLC

Colic in the Breastfed Baby by Jack Newman MD, FRCPC

Am I making too much milk? from La Leche League International

Fighting the Battle Against Oversupply  by Vanessa Manz

Finish the First Breast First by Melissa Vickers (LEAVEN, September-October 1995, p. 69-71)

Overactive Let-Down: Consequences and Treatments by Mary Jozwiak (from LEAVEN, September-October 1995, pp. 71-72)

Common Side Effects of an Overactive Let-Down by Mary Jozwiak (from LEAVEN, September-October 1995, p. 69)

Too Much of a Good Thing by Kate Drzycimski, from New Beginnings Vol. 19 No. 9, July-August 2002, p. 129.

PDF Resolution of Lactose Intolerance and “Colic” in Breastfed Babies by Robyn Noble & Anne Bovey, presented at the ALCA Vic (Melbourne) Conference on the 1st November, 1997

b3autifulmama
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM
That's great!!! Thank you mamas!!! She has a dr appointment tomorrow so I will have them look into her lip and tongue. It's just in the beginning (a min or so) that it's screeching painful. Yeah, she seems to be getting a lot. It may be that it's too fast or too much but when I do one one feeding, one the other she handles bette. Burps are forced. Never had such a hard burper!!!
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Hang in there mama, it does and will get better!!

mcmlxxxv
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM

That pain should subside.  I was the same way at first.  It got better around the time baby was two weeks old.  Mine has a tongue tie and I wonder if maybe that made her clamp down harder and thus hurt me more, but now we're feeding fine and she never did get the tie cut.  We just both had to get used to it over time I guess!  They say dairy is the biggest potential tummy problem causer, so try avoiding that for a while.  But if you have overactive letdown or oversupply like mentioned above, that can cause tummy problems too.  Also make sure you are holding the baby with head higher than body.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Can you take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open,like when she's crying? We may be able to spot ties if they are present. There is also a section on ties in the resources sticky with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present.
Mommyx2BG
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Is there a reason your pumping?
Mommyx2BG
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Also please check with a lactation consultant to make sure she's latched on correctly. All the nurses at the hospital and even their lactation consultant told me my son was latched fine but it hurt so bad. I finally went to see a lactation consultant that i had found and she corrected his latch as that's what was causing the pain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN