Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

16 and Pregnant (the TV show) and Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM
  • 19 Replies

16 and Pregnant is one of my day-time TV  guilty pleasures.  On a recent episode a teen couple was arguing about breastfeeding.

It went something like this:

The guys said "you're the one who chose to breastfeed"

The girl replied "we don't have the money for formula so I had too, so there..."

Is there really a misconception that breastfeeding is something only poor people do because they can't afford formula? I had never thought about it before.

Thoughts?

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM
I sure hope not. I'm sure people who are actually educated about it know better.
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm doing it because wet are broke and its better and it works for us its really hard sometimes I am pretty sure young moms have a harder time with it due to lack of education about it.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
What does it matter if that is her reason for doing it? It was one of my reasons with our first. There was no way I would pay for something I could do for free.

It actually WAS something poor people did when formula became popular. My mom was looked down on for nursing her kids. Though now, the majority of poor people use formula because they can get it from WIC.
newmom20716
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM

when my grandma what having her kids (she is 70 now) only poor people bf there kids,  it was something that was really looked down upon 

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM
My in laws totally subscribe to that school of thought that only poor people breast feed. They see formula as a more superior form of nutrition and better social status.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Sadly, scientists got mixing up some fancy formula and the formula industry marketed it as the elite alternative to breastfeeding. It's actually quite ironic as the statistics show that lower income mothers are more likely to use formula. And we've heard stories about watering down formula, or just switching to whole milk months early because it's cheaper or even a mother here who said her dh was given bottles of watered down ketchup in a bottle as a baby. Formula is often seen as fancy and liberating for a mother who doesn't want to be "tied down" to a baby.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Yes, I have actually heard that quite a bit. :-/

At least these babies are getting breastmilk.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:23 PM
We are certainly not poor. But I didn't want to formula feed when I make something better for free. I'm also now cloth diapering bc I'd rather spend money to get started and save in the long run.

These are the best choices for us.
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I think its awesome that a 16yr old can think through it enough to realize that breastfeeding is free and they can't afford formula. For them it really is that simple.
I don't really care to judge others motives....
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I'm on WIC now and I've hardly seen any other moms who bf. Personally I associate formula with low income b/c WIC gives so much for free lol I'd rather get more food haha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)