Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How accurate is this?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM
  • 3 Replies
We have a fancy machine at work (I work in a NICU) that measures the calorie and fat content in breastmilk. It's used to make sure our micro preemies get enough calories. Anyway, me and one other currently nursing mom decided to use a little of our milk and try it out. I did two samples of mine (from different bottles and pumped at different times) and one said 34cal/oz and the other 32cal/oz. The "average" is 22. Not that it matters, but does anyone how accurate this actually is?
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:52 AM
I would imagine that it's pretty accurate for that sample. Remember that nutrition and calories vary depending on where in the feeding you are.
The most accurate sample would be taken with a little from each part of the session.
I had mine tested with my older dtr when she was 13mo it was 32cal/oz.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Gotcha. I was just surprised it was so high!

Quoting melindabelcher: I would imagine that it's pretty accurate for that sample. Remember that nutrition and calories vary depending on where in the feeding you are.
The most accurate sample would be taken with a little from each part of the session.
I had mine tested with my older dtr when she was 13mo it was 32cal/oz.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I had mine tested at 38 and 42 before...my guys were super skinny, but had lip ties and I bet tonggue ties...this youngest I havent had my milk tested BUT hes a chunker after the ties were clipped.  I think your milk responds to what your baby needs and that is why latching in the NICU is soooooo important

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN