Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

3 day old had no poopy or wetdiapers today worried

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM
  • 16 Replies
My milk came in last night and today it looks rather thin. My daughter hasnt had any poopyor wet diapers and im worried. Has anyone else experienced this with thrir little one so early? Should I go grt some formula amd supplement
by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slashteddy
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
How long without wet diapers? No poopy is, to my understanding, normal for BF babies sometimes, but the lack of urination is a big red flag. Call your pedi.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM
You should expect 3 diapers on day three I believe. Has she had any poopy diapers at all, or just not today? Are you nursing on demand?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Breastfeeding your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks

SEPTEMBER 2, 2011. Posted in: BREASTFEEDING BASICS,COMMON NEWBORN CONCERNS,WHAT IS NORMAL?

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

The First Week

How often should baby be nursing?

Frequent nursing encourages good milk supply and reduces engorgement. Aim for nursing at least 10 – 12 times per day (24 hours). You CAN’T nurse too often–you CAN nurse too little.

Nurse at the first signs of hunger (stirring, rooting, hands in mouth)–don’t wait until baby is crying. Allow baby unlimited time at the breast when sucking actively, then offer the second breast. Some newborns are excessively sleepy at first–wake baby to nurse if 2 hours (during the day) or 4 hours (at night) have passed without nursing.

Is baby getting enough milk?

Weight gain: Normal newborns may lose up to 7% of birth weight in the first few days. After mom’s milk comes in, the average breastfed baby gains 6 oz/week (170 g/week). Take baby for a weight check at the end of the first week or beginning of the second week. Consult with baby’s doctor and your lactation consultant if baby is not gaining as expected.

Dirty diapers: In the early days, baby typically has one dirty diaper for each day of life (1 on day one, 2 on day two…). After day 4, stools should be yellow and baby should have at least 3-4 stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often–this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy.

Wet diapers: In the early days, baby typically has one wet diaper for each day of life (1 on day one, 2 on day two…). Once mom’s milk comes in, expect 5-6+ wet diapers every 24 hours. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper. A piece of tissue in a disposable diaper will help you determine if the diaper is wet.

Breast changes

Your milk should start to “come in” (increase in quantity and change from colostrum to mature milk) between days 2 and 5. To minimize engorgement: nurse often, don’t skip feedings (even at night), ensure good latch/positioning, and let baby finish the first breast before offering the other side. To decrease discomfort from engorgement, use cold and/or cabbage leaf compresses between feedings. If baby is having trouble latching due to engorgement, use reverse pressure softening or express milk until the nipple is soft, then try latching again.

Call your doctor, midwife and/or lactation consultant if:

Baby is having no wet or dirty diapers Baby has dark colored urine after day 3(should be pale yellow to clear) Baby has dark colored stools after day 4(should be mustard yellow, with no meconium) Baby has fewer wet/soiled diapers or nurses less frequently than the goals listed here Mom has symptoms of mastitis(sore breast with fever, chills, flu-like aching)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:47 AM
What Julia said!^^^
linz04060913
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Keep breastfeeding.

LucidDreamer90
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:47 AM
The poop wouldn't worry me, the pee however would. Call the doctor.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM
For diaper count, we look at a 24 hr period. If baby has not had three diapers in the 24 hour period for day 3, start oumping and supplement by syringe after she nurses. I would start with 10 mL in a syringe after each feeding.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Is she sleepy? How does.it feel when she nurses? How were diapers the first two days?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Also, you milk will not look like homogenized cow's milk. Was your baby checked for lip or tongue ties?
Cass84
by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM

First of all: yes, you should worry about the pee, are you sure she's not peeing? diapers are really absorbant and newborns pee small quantitys. They can feel dry to the touch on the inside. get the ones with the line indicator. If I  were you, id call the ped. Also, you can try pumping and seeing what you get?(baby might have a hard time latching and removing milk,) then supplement with your own milk by cup/finger feeding, if you want to avoid nipple confusion. if you can't pump anything, you might want to consider formula temporarily until you can get in to see the doc, but pump to make up for the missed feeding. it's definately concerning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)