Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my 8 mo old getting enough

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son seems to be nursing less often since he's gotten on more solids. He nurses 1 to 2 times at night, morning, for his 2 naps, then bedtime. When he does nurse it's not long just till he falls asleep. I also feel my supply is also decreasing a bit. He's distracted and doesn't want to nurse a lot of the time now unless he's tired. Seems like that's not quite enough considering at his age he should be having 6 oz or so a feeding. Hard to tell I guess when you don't know how much he's really getting. I try to get him to nurse more but he doesn't seem interested.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:24 AM

That depends. Is he nursing before any solids?  6 oz a feeding is not for a breasted baby. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Well BF babies never tae 6 oz a feeding, its more like 3-4 which is why they nurse so often. 24-30oz a day is the norm.  so think 4 oz a feed nursing 6-8 times.

Are you nursing before you offer slids? Solids should NOT lower nursings really, especially at this age.

polkaspots
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:16 AM
To me it seems like he's not getting enough. All of those nursing sessions you listed are before he goes to sleep, which means he's not nursing before he eats food. Until the age of one he should be nursing before every meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Not ONE bite of solids till he's nursed nicely. If that means he eats no solids, that's perfectly all right. He doesn't NEED solids. But skimping on breastmilk can shortchange him nutritionally.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I agree with.everyone else. Consider solids like a dessert until he is one years old.
ShadowLark
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Not ONE bite of solids till he's nursed nicely. If that means he eats no solids, that's perfectly all right. He doesn't NEED solids. But skimping on breastmilk can shortchange him nutritionally.

And if he tries to outstubborn you, go ahead and give him a bite of food.  But that's ALL it is - if he normally eats a peach, give him one slice of peach chopped up.  Then when he's done and still starved, put him on the breast.  No nursing, no more food.  He'll get the point soon enough and nurse.  THEN he can have the rest of that peach!

He doesn't know the difference at this age.  If you bring out a tiny amount of food and say "this is all there is", then he'll finish it and nurse if he's still hungry.  Then half an hour later "oh, look, more peaches!".  It gives him his desert and keeps him properly fed, too.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:54 AM
I agree. I had to completely stop solids for a while with my son and get his nursing back on track.
Allisonc7910
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Thanks. So confusing when there is so much out there saying he needs added foods throughout the day.  I started feeding him 3 times a day with a snack.  Thats why hes nursing less. Hes got plenty of wet diapers and 1 poop diaper a day. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Most of what's out there is the parroting of marketing materials form, you guessed it, baby food makers! They have a vested interest in you believing you need to buy their products.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Thanks. So confusing when there is so much out there saying he needs added foods throughout the day.  I started feeding him 3 times a day with a snack.  Thats why hes nursing less. Hes got plenty of wet diapers and 1 poop diaper a day. 

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
He needs breastmilk. None of kids were even eating solids at 8 months. Solids before one are just for fun.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)