Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

slightly annoyed

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ds was born 6.6.14 lost 14% of body weight but by day 4 started gaining weight (1.1oz in 24hrs) after I realized I was engorged... and after hand expressing to relieve the pressure and hand expressing to get him to latch really well (I was super paranoid). We had his 2 week appt monday and had to go back for a weight check friday and they scheduled another weight check for next week (he'll be a month). Just kind of annoyed with going back and forth. I had a cesarean and this happened with my first and I felt forced to supplement. He's continually gaining weight and I just want to stop with the weight checks!!
Birth: 8.9
Day 2: 7.14
Day 3: 7.5
Day 4: 7.6
Day 17: 7.15
Day 18: 8.1 (unrelated dr visit)
Day 20: 8.5

I've got a very active toddler and recovering from my surgery is enough to worry about without worrying about ds weight (since he's been continually gaining!) /rant
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this

At the next weigh-in, demand a legitimate reason for them since he is steadily gaining weight.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

He gained FOUR OUNCES in TWO DAYS. That's ONE WEEK'S WORTH of gain in TWO DAYS.

They are probably concerned about him not being to birth weight, but the gain is steady and looks good.  I'd go ahead and do the one month and then not go back till the two month.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:19 AM

I'd ALSO consider dumping the doc. Withdraw both kids frm the practice, switch to a family practitioner instead.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:22 AM
He lost a little more than.doctors to see in the beginning (probably from iv fluids?), but gain looks steady. I would worry, just keep nursing on demand, and get whatever help you can with your toddler while you heal mama :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I had cesarean sections with both of mine. The second time around, I had a basket of special toys and books for my toddler that we only used while nursing. Watched a lot of movies in those early days while I was recovering.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:10 AM
My first 2 kids Ped used to do that. He liked to have us come in once a week for the first 2 months so he could bill our insurance for a dr visit and get $20 from us in a copay. With DD after the first 3 visits I told him no more until her 2 month appt. He immediately labeled her FTT stating she wasn't gaining weight correctly and tried telling me that if I refused to come in he would be forced to notify CPS that I'm refusing care for my child. So I played his game and she kept gaining until 6 months. Then she gained but not very fast. He pushed formula and I pushed back to get her ties revised. Finally at 9 months he referred us to clip and I moved her to another dr. The new Ped cleaned up her file, removing all of the un-necessary labels.
With my 3rd baby and the new Ped we went in for the 2 week and DS2 was .5ozs shy of his bw so no more needs to go in. Plus the new Ped said I just had a section and was chasing 2 more ages 4 and under. No need to keep dragging me in.

I agree with the others, maybe look into a new dr. He's gaining weight. What helped me was sticking DS2 in a wrap and nursing him what seemed like 24/7 (he's my piggy baby, even now at 19 months he eats all the time, lol).
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Did you report the doc to the medical board? That was fraud.

Quoting shortyali: My first 2 kids Ped used to do that. He liked to have us come in once a week for the first 2 months so he could bill our insurance for a dr visit and get $20 from us in a copay. With DD after the first 3 visits I told him no more until her 2 month appt. He immediately labeled her FTT stating she wasn't gaining weight correctly and tried telling me that if I refused to come in he would be forced to notify CPS that I'm refusing care for my child. So I played his game and she kept gaining until 6 months. Then she gained but not very fast. He pushed formula and I pushed back to get her ties revised. Finally at 9 months he referred us to clip and I moved her to another dr. The new Ped cleaned up her file, removing all of the un-necessary labels. With my 3rd baby and the new Ped we went in for the 2 week and DS2 was .5ozs shy of his bw so no more needs to go in. Plus the new Ped said I just had a section and was chasing 2 more ages 4 and under. No need to keep dragging me in. I agree with the others, maybe look into a new dr. He's gaining weight. What helped me was sticking DS2 in a wrap and nursing him what seemed like 24/7 (he's my piggy baby, even now at 19 months he eats all the time, lol).

jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I think that's the problem. We've been seeing different people almost every visit. :/

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd ALSO consider dumping the doc. Withdraw both kids frm the practice, switch to a family practitioner instead.

jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM
I wish my son would sit still long enough to watch a movie!! He's into monster trucks and all of a sudden can't play by himself, but I get it. He never let us play with him before lol

Also I cannot get my newborn's head to stay in the wrap unless he's sleeping. His neck is so strong and he's mr curious George just like my firstborn was!!

Quoting MusherMaggie: I had cesarean sections with both of mine. The second time around, I had a basket of special toys and books for my toddler that we only used while nursing. Watched a lot of movies in those early days while I was recovering.
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Michael was 8# 11.1oz today! No more weight checks. And I suspect he has a lip tie and of course ped had no idea what I was talking about, but wasn't expecting her to. I've got an appt on Monday with the lactation consultant so we'll see what happens.he's super congested and sounds so miserable everyday almost all day. I feel so bad when he hardly gets any sleep!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)