Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctors don't know everything!!!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
I hate how some doctors are so pushy!! Mine had breast fed jaundice and I was made to come in all the time for heel sticks and was even told to use formula to "clean" him out from the breast milk. Looking back I wish I'd just told him to screw off.......we have different doc now. Much better. But seriously, why are some of them so uneducated and pushy????
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Analugojana
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Because they receive very little education in human lactation and for 20 or so years formula was the gold standard in infant nutrition. Breastfeeding has become almost a lost art.
MommyRush
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I agree some doctors are just dumb...i took my son to urgent care one day cuz his breathing was sounding weezy doctor said just give him Benadryl n he will be fine well it didn't get better so I took him up to ER that night n his heart rate was dropped from not enough oxygen had to have steroids and bunch of breathing treatments and epinephrine. Grrrr...anyways that Dr. You had extra dumb cuz everyone know breast milk is better for young ones then formula.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM

WW sounds like your doctor thought BM had him stopped up..yeah no formula does that, but formula can help a baby pass jaundice by pushing out the meconium if moms not producing enough.  Sadly doctors think thi way too early.  AND they dont refer a mom to a LC when its a BFing issue.  Heck they dont even use info put out by AAP about jaundice either

Schnauzerlov869
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Everyone has a story.......thing is......some ppl are just not that smart and even tho they have a degree they might still not be all that sensible. Oh well, rant over. :))))
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I will say that the repeat heel sticks if the bilirubin is at or above a certain level and isn't coming down, is an AAP recommendation.
jrsmommy0427
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
I was terrified my son's drs would push formula when my son's jaundice kept getting worse. I hated going back for the heel pricks! They sent me to a LC fortunately and since their was weight gain they let us do our own thing!
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My peditrician told me to forumla feed "just to supplement" for no other reason than I had a NICU baby. She was not underweight. She was recovering from her surgery fine.  Apparently supplementing was "standard practice" for NICU babies. I told him I would supplement, then I went home and EBF and she is still perfectly healthly two months later with great weight gain and no more medical issues. It was hard to breastfeed her when she was in a cast but it wasn't impossible.

So, no. Doctors do not know everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)