• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping question for a friend...

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

She has an 8 month old baby and wants to take a few months off pumping (summer break) and then start up again when she goes back to work, is that doable? Anything she should know? Thanks!

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably not. If she has to kkeep pumping when she returns to work, she should keep pumping over the summer to keep pump response, and also to keep a saved freezer stash in case her pump out put crashes. The closer you get to a year, the harder it is to pump. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree she runs a big risk of losing pump response if she backs off this late in the game. :-/
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Thanks ladies, that's what I told her but I didn't have any kind of proof, any chance you do? She knows I don't pump so she kind of has no reason to believe me, lol.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Have her look up pumping on Kellymom.com. Does she nurse when she is home with her baby, and always before solids? As close as the baby will be to a year by the end od summer, the baby would be all right with solids and water, and whatever milk she wants to pump by then. Pumping once a day, first thing in the morning, would be fine through the summer. After a year, lots of moms dump the pump.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Thanks, I'll pass it on. She said she was just pumping once in the morning but stopped about a week ago, she does nurse during the day now, but I have no idea about the rest... "Friend" is being generous, she's just someone in a facebook group I'm in, lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Have her look up pumping on Kellymom.com. Does she nurse when she is home with her baby, and always before solids? As close as the baby will be to a year by the end od summer, the baby would be all right with solids and water, and whatever milk she wants to pump by then. Pumping once a day, first thing in the morning, would be fine through the summer. After a year, lots of moms dump the pump.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The only proof I can give her is experience; we've seen lots of moms take the summer off to find they cannot pump even one drop when they go back to work.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Its possible, I dont recommend it.  I highly recommend one session a day to maintain pump response.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell her get bac too it...done this 3 times myself as a teacher...key to success is once a day pumping

Quoting Zazayam:

Thanks, I'll pass it on. She said she was just pumping once in the morning but stopped about a week ago, she does nurse during the day now, but I have no idea about the rest... "Friend" is being generous, she's just someone in a facebook group I'm in, lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Have her look up pumping on Kellymom.com. Does she nurse when she is home with her baby, and always before solids? As close as the baby will be to a year by the end od summer, the baby would be all right with solids and water, and whatever milk she wants to pump by then. Pumping once a day, first thing in the morning, would be fine through the summer. After a year, lots of moms dump the pump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)