Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

introducing bottle at 8 weeks

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have questions about introducing a bottle. My son is 8 weeks old I have to go back to work and I'm confused about bottle feeding and pumping. I feed on cue or demand. So I'm not sure how to get a schedule down for bottles pumping and nursing when I get home from work. Please help
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Basically, you leave what would amount to 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, in 2-3 ounce portions to be fed ever 2-3 hours. Mom should never be present when the bottle is given. No need to get baby used to bottle beforehand--babies will not let themselves starve but will be disinclined to take a bottle if mom is around with fresh goods.

Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Bsby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. You pump every three hours while you're away from your baby, and first thing every morning, working or not. For more details, see "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com, and look up information on pumping and storage there as well.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

1. Not ONE bottle when you're home. Not one. 

2. One pump for every three hours away. Expect to get .5 -2 ounces per pump.

3. As Maggie said, 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. Servings of approximately 2-3 ounces. I kept it easy. The output of a pumping session WAS a feeding; I was never able to pump much more than three ounces at a sitting and it worked fine.

4. Tell your caregiver NO feedings in the hour or so before you get home. You want baby to be RAVENOUS when you arrive. That's the single best supply preserver.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Ive done this 3 times..heres the deal, the night before you  back hand baby and bottle with 2-3 oz in it right at feeding time and leave...seriously.  Bottles are easy, if baby is fed upright and burped after each ounce evereything should be just fine.

WHen away pump every 3 hours or so for atleast 20 min with a quality pump.  Pump once a day even n days off first ting in the morning..this is the key to my success!

Baby needs 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours.  My guys always like 3 oz every 2.5 hours really.  Higher than 3 oz bottles are never ever needed for a BF baby, think 1 oz an hour.  Nurse befre leaving.  You can leave a schedule OR tell them "no bottles before 2 hours, do not go closer than 2 hours apart" also no bottles within 90 min of your return and nurse on demand. 

When home nurse on demand, even if its CONSTANTLY...nurse nurse nurse

raelynn92
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Thank you this is going to help ne so much. I'm wondering why the mom can't give the bottle I'm a single parent and no family around so I have no choice but to do this alone. I'm looking for the easiest way to go about all this
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM
If you're with her, you nurse. You can pump one side while she nurses--makes things faster. You can lie down with her to nurse and rest yourself as well. Co-sleeping at night makes life easier, too.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't want baby to start to associate the bottle with mom and start to prefer it. If you have no one around then it is what it is and you can do it but try not to make it a habit. Plus be prepared that baby may refuse the bottle because your there. If I needed to go out I just handed baby to the caregiver with a bottle and my shirt I wore to bed and left. Never introduced it first and never had an issue.

Quoting raelynn92: Thank you this is going to help ne so much. I'm wondering why the mom can't give the bottle I'm a single parent and no family around so I have no choice but to do this alone. I'm looking for the easiest way to go about all this
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM
This exactly!

Quoting shortyali: You don't want baby to start to associate the bottle with mom and start to prefer it. If you have no one around then it is what it is and you can do it but try not to make it a habit. Plus be prepared that baby may refuse the bottle because your there. If I needed to go out I just handed baby to the caregiver with a bottle and my shirt I wore to bed and left. Never introduced it first and never had an issue.

Quoting raelynn92: Thank you this is going to help ne so much. I'm wondering why the mom can't give the bottle I'm a single parent and no family around so I have no choice but to do this alone. I'm looking for the easiest way to go about all this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)