Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a little worried

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
Babes is 7 months and she's only 14.3 lbs. her 6 mon appt she was 13lb6 oz. birth weight was 7lb6oz lowest weight was 6lb10oz.
Today she only had 4 wet diapers. She pooped as soon as she woke up. She's been getting a veggie around lunch time and I give her a small amount of oatmeal for breakfast and supper (mostly to give her something to do while we eat). She's been actually taking naps during the day now so she eats 6-7 times a day and once in awhile she'll wake up during the night.
How do I get her to gain more? She's almost crawling and I fear once she starts moving more she'll end up losing instead of gaining. Dr is already concerned because she isn't gaining much. I'm not ready to give up yet :(
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

At 7 months she'd be expected to be 13lbs 10oz.  She's making diapers and sounds perfect.  

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Baby should gain average of 1lb a month from lowest weight.
With lowest weight being 6lb10oz I would expect a minimum of 13lb10oz so she's over achieving!!
With solids make sure your nursing first then offer solids. And focus on nutrient dense foods like avacados, sweet potato, eggs, meats.
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM
I gave her a few bites of sweet potato tonight. We're moving our way through the veggies. She's had carrots, squash, green beans, peas and zucchini. She's also had bananas and peaches. She loves Cheerios also. I've been working on eating healthy also. I'm getting a lot better with eating veggies.

Quoting melindabelcher: Baby should gain average of 1lb a month from lowest weight.
With lowest weight being 6lb10oz I would expect a minimum of 13lb10oz so she's over achieving!!
With solids make sure your nursing first then offer solids. And focus on nutrient dense foods like avacados, sweet potato, eggs, meats.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Try a little shredded chicken or ground beef. Both of mine were carnivores from the time they started solids. Diapers at this age are typically fewer but heavier, and a poopy one still counts as (at least) two diapers. Her weight gain is right on target, even ahead of the game! As the others said, just be sure she gets a full nursing before any solids until she's a year old. At this stage, she doesn't have to have them every meal or even every day.
Cassie2115
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM
It's messing with me that all the other babies I know are so much bigger than her. I have a friend with a 2.5 month old that weighs the same. Peanut's second cousin weighed more at 2 months than she weighed at 5. It makes me think she should be gaining more.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Try a little shredded chicken or ground beef. Both of mine were carnivores from the time they started solids. Diapers at this age are typically fewer but heavier, and a poopy one still counts as (at least) two diapers. Her weight gain is right on target, even ahead of the game! As the others said, just be sure she gets a full nursing before any solids until she's a year old. At this stage, she doesn't have to have them every meal or even every day.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cassie2115: It's messing with me that all the other babies I know are so much bigger than her. I have a friend with a 2.5 month old that weighs the same.
There are only TWO cases in which that weight in a 2.5 montn old would not be cause for alarm. 1 - Baby got that big on breastmilk only (it's rare but happens) or baby was born at at least 12 pounds. If neither of those situations pertains, then it's a WORRY for a baby to be that big.
Peanut's second cousin weighed more at 2 months than she weighed at 5.
So what? Again, only two situations where it pertains. 
It makes me think she should be gaining more.
Nope. She's PERFECT. Your baby os growing as she SHOULD. There's NOTHING great about having a boig baby. NOTHING. Trust me; I HAD one. Big does not mean HEALTHY.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this

ust like adults babies come in all shapes and sizes, your baby is gainin normally.  I have peanuts too! HUGS momma nurse before solids and try to cut out solids that have LOW calories per ounce.  Kellymom.com has a great chart with calorie content on foods!! I swear by that chart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)