Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solids for over one

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM
  • 5 Replies

My little guy just turned one and we've ramped up the solids. He still breastfeeds several times a day but we've started giving him more food and he's doing really well. My question is about water. He dribbles water out of his mouth when we let him sip out of a cup and he doesn't realize what sippy cups are for (he just chews on the "nipple" part). How much water should I be giving him? He does okay with water bottles, but I just discovered this today. Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM

At one, I'd just skip sippy cups at this point and give him a regular small cup. Actually mine did best with coffee cups for a while, lol.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

As much as he wants really.

There's no real set amount he needs to have.  I just put 2oz in a cup in the morning, and again in the evening and that's what my daughter drinks during the day.  She's also nursing 8-10 times a day still, and eating solids 3 times and 1 snack a day.  She's almost 16 months old. 

Mama2twins2b
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM
My daughter did much better with straws they make sippy like that. She also like coconut water a lot more than regular water (organic from the coconut she likes to eat it as well)

We let her have her cup on the table at all times as well as meals she is welcome to drink when she wants and have taught her it goes on the living room table when she is done. Took about two weeks now we don't have to look for it all the time!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I actually used medicine cups, or even the ones from the toy tea set.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Water is not necessary, no worries.  Try a straw cup..my guy did that with a regular sippy but straws he did well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)