Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about breast pain and nursing

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

Danica was born on the 26 and has been such a champ. she has done sooo well and hasn't lost that much weight. i know her latch isn't the best because she does not open up very wide, so i'm not sure what to do to get her mouth wider. my nipples of coarse are sore, and today the whole breast is kinda sore, like a dull ache. is there anything i can do about this? anything to be concerned about? I have been using a guard also because the nipples are incredibly hard to nurse. any suggestions greatly, greatly appreciated!

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. Sounds like she may have lip and/or tongue ties. Sandwich your areola ti get more of it in her mouth. Tickle around her nose and mouth with your nipple to encourage her to open wider. If your nipples are not actually damaged, try not to use the shield--it can actually make things worse. I believe there are videos on YouTube that show proper latching. Also, Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to find one in your area.
LucidDreamer90
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:54 AM
For the nipple pain, go to Freddies and pick up lanolin. Its 8 bucks where I live and last the whole month it comes in a small purple box and should be next to the breast pads. You just put it on your nipples after feeding and its safe for baby so you don't have to worry about cleaning it off.

As for her latch ^ what MusherMaggie said.
MizTaba
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MusherMaggie: Take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. Sounds like she may have lip and/or tongue ties. Sandwich your areola ti get more of it in her mouth. Tickle around her nose and mouth with your nipple to encourage her to open wider. If your nipples are not actually damaged, try not to use the shield--it can actually make things worse. I believe there are videos on YouTube that show proper latching. Also, Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to find one in your area.

thanks so much! i watched a video and tried it out and it has worked marvelously! like instant relief, it had to have been horrible latch on my part, i should have let her do her thing. i am thinking the pain i was having was due to engorgement since now that she is eating so much better the pain is basically gone, including nipple/areola pain. again, thanks for the advice!!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Completely agree.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. Sounds like she may have lip and/or tongue ties. Sandwich your areola ti get more of it in her mouth. Tickle around her nose and mouth with your nipple to encourage her to open wider. If your nipples are not actually damaged, try not to use the shield--it can actually make things worse. I believe there are videos on YouTube that show proper latching. Also, Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to find one in your area.
MizTaba
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Quoting LucidDreamer90: For the nipple pain, go to Freddies and pick up lanolin. Its 8 bucks where I live and last the whole month it comes in a small purple box and should be next to the breast pads. You just put it on your nipples after feeding and its safe for baby so you don't have to worry about cleaning it off. As for her latch ^ what MusherMaggie said.

i had received lansinoh lanolin as part of a gift while in the hospital and am now currently using the magical stuff! it has worked wonders, love it!!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM
That is great! Are you latching without the shield?

Quoting MizTaba:

thanks so much! i watched a video and tried it out and it has worked marvelously! like instant relief, it had to have been horrible latch on my part, i should have let her do her thing. i am thinking the pain i was having was due to engorgement since now that she is eating so much better the pain is basically gone, including nipple/areola pain. again, thanks for the advice!!

MizTaba
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Quoting Precious333: That is great! Are you latching without the shield?
Quoting MizTaba:

yes!!! thats another thing i wanted to thank you for! that thing really screwed me up, never again will i use it! total appreciate you advising against it. i think thats what messed me up with my son. 

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Great! Shields should be a very last resort :)

Quoting MizTaba:

Quoting Precious333: That is great! Are you latching without the shield?

Quoting MizTaba:

yes!!! thats another thing i wanted to thank you for! that thing really screwed me up, never again will i use it! total appreciate you advising against it. i think thats what messed me up with my son. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so glad you're both doing better!
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad you Doing good now!! 😊
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)