Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breasts hard and lumpy

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM
  • 4 Replies
Is it normal for your breasts to feel a little lumpy and firm when they are full of milk? Mine get that way in the mornings.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Possibly, but you want to be sure milk is being removed. If lumps stick around too long, they plug the ducts, which can lead to mastitis. How old is your baby, how is nursing going, are you pumping for work?
Tigressarah
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:32 AM
She is 18 days old. She usually sleeps about 4-5 hrs straight at night, and when we do wake up to nurse, that's when they feel lumpy, hot and firm.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Possibly, but you want to be sure milk is being removed. If lumps stick around too long, they plug the ducts, which can lead to mastitis. How old is your baby, how is nursing going, are you pumping for work?
Tigressarah
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:33 AM
Sorry, forgot. I am not pumping yet. She uses all I'm making. When I pump, nothing comes out. Like a drop or two at most

Quoting Tigressarah: She is 18 days old. She usually sleeps about 4-5 hrs straight at night, and when we do wake up to nurse, that's when they feel lumpy, hot and firm.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Possibly, but you want to be sure milk is being removed. If lumps stick around too long, they plug the ducts, which can lead to mastitis. How old is your baby, how is nursing going, are you pumping for work?
Gonzo318
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM
Sounds like they are just getting engorged. Totally normal and your body will adjust over the next few weeks to his sleep pattern. You can express a little if it's too uncomfortable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)