Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm 31 weeks tomorrow. When does milk start to form/leak or such..
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Mine started between twenty five and thirty weeks, or something like that. I didn't leak though.
With my second I leaked a handful of times in the last few weeks.
When I was pregnant with third I was nursing and the milk switched back to colostrum around 5-6 months along.
You produce colostrum until a few days after baby is born. Then you produce mature milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leeannfarley
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM
What I'm still unsure about because I've never had a baby.. Does the milk just magically become ready when I give birth? What if I try to breast feed him and my milk isn't in yet?

Quoting polkaspots: Mine started between twenty five and thirty weeks, or something like that. I didn't leak though.
When I was pregnant with third I was nursing and the milk switched back to colostrum around 5-6 months along.
You produce colostrum until a few days after baby is born. Then you produce mature milk.
shortyali
by Alicia on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Your body produces colostrum at first which is thick but packed with everything your baby needs. Think of it like concentrated breast milk.
When you deliver the placenta, that is when your body gets the signal you have given birth and need to start producing milk. It can take up to a week for it to switch over. Trust your body to know what it's doing.

Quoting leeannfarley: What I'm still unsure about because I've never had a baby.. Does the milk just magically become ready when I give birth? What if I try to breast feed him and my milk isn't in yet?

Quoting polkaspots: Mine started between twenty five and thirty weeks, or something like that. I didn't leak though.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I didn't leak at all with my first pregnancy. My full milk started coming in day 4 or 5. Of course, colostrum is present at birth and is all they need until your milk comes in. I nursed through the second pregnancy; milk was in 24 hours after the second birth.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant with my 5th and I've never leaked a drop while pregnant. With some effort I can express some colostrum but it's never leaked. With my first my milk came in around day 4/5 but with subsequent babies it's been day 2/3.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting leeannfarley: What I'm still unsure about because I've never had a baby.. Does the milk just magically become ready when I give birth? What if I try to breast feed him and my milk isn't in yet?

Delivery of the placenta triggers milk production. You produc colostrum at first; it is loaded with nutrients, antibodies and has a laxitive effect to help baby pass the meconium. It is all baby needs until your milk comes in. Frequently nursing on demand helps the process along. Keep your baby skin-to-skin with you after birth and nurse at every wiggle.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Shelbypb
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 22 weeks and mine has already started leaking but this is my second child so that's probably why it might have started earlier. I can't remember when it came in with my son
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
baby development
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
At birth your baby's tummy is the size of a marble. It only needs those few swallows here and there to fill up. :-)
gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You may not see anything till you deliver. It's very normal to not leak at all in pregnancy.

polkaspots
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not magic, lol. It's physical. You start producing colostrum while you're pregnant and the delivery of the placenta tells your body you have babies to feed. You're already producing the milk your newborn is going to drink.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)