Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need advice on a good sling/carrier

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have a VERY active 18month old son and my newborn is a week old today! I want to get a sling or carrier I can use while breastfeeding. I want one asap so I need it to be good for a 6lb baby. I have a moby that I got for my 18m but I HATE it, it's waaay too much of a hassle. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crob4
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM
You'd probably like a ring sling or a soft structured carrier like an Ergo or Tula.
Analugojana
by Christine on Jun. 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I found that ring slings were the best for nursing in them, especially when the baby was little (up to 6 months or even sooner if you have a big baby). After that I really loved my mei tai. It was inexpensive and easy to put on and take off, didn't keep me too hot like the Ergo and was super comfortable. Nursing in any other carrier takes a bit of getting used to or getting creative. My girsl like to hang low (lol) so it was almost impossible in any carrier other than the ring sling. But by the time we stopped using it my baby had developed a more predictable nursing pattern so I could just nurse her for a few minutes out of the carrier.

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I liked the moby until about 15 pounds.

I have a woven wrap and an ergo. They're both great but for me its easier to nurse in the ergo.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM
I love pouches for their simplicity. Just pop on and go! The AP hotsling is adjustable so you can actually loosen the top a little for nursing.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Oh, and they say 7+lbs, but I used them right away with my 6lbers.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Oh, and they say 7+lbs, but I used them right away with my 6lbers.
JjcH0911
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
My baby didn't gain weight properly so I just got to put her in a baby carrier. Since the recommended weight is 8+lbs
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM
I used a ring sling. My second was just a little over six pounds and it worked just fine--I could pull it up as tight as I needed to, or easily loosen it to nurse.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM
I've used Maya Wrap ring slings for all 4 of my babies, as small as 5.5 lbs newborn in snuggle hold to 40 pound five year-old on my back.
Georgie2
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I love my Ergo. I have slings and a Ka'Tan, but the Ergo has been my go-to since he was 2 weeks old. He's a 23lb 9 month old now so I consider it a necessity! No troubles nursing in it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)