Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Second time mama to be, will be breastfeeding need some advice

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
I will be breastfeeding my son, he will be here in October. I was wandering if you ladies knew of any ways to help supply(:
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Congrats on the pregnancy!

Let's start with your first, did you attempt to breastfeed him /her?

Did you have (or believe you had) an inadequate supply?

If so, why?

Often times we get moms in here believing they had a low supply when they were actually doing perfectly fine, the answers to the above may help to get you more informative advice then this, but the best, most efficient way to increase your supply is to NURSE, NURSE, NURSE BABY ON DEMAND!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Also investing in a ring sling or wrap would be wise, if you to get things done, because newborn babies practically LIVE on the Breast for the first 6-8+ weeks, this is NORMAL. :-)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Best way to help supply? Get a sling, pop baby in and let him nurse at will, as long and as often as he wishes.

Lilys_Mommy11
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a girl breastfeed with her for a year. I don't belive I had an inadequate supply, just would like to be able to breast pump this time around

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: Congrats on the pregnancy!

Let's start with your first, did you attempt to breastfeed him /her?

Did you have (or believe you had) an inadequate supply?

If so, why?

Often times we get moms in here believing they had a low supply when they were actually doing perfectly fine, the answers to the above may help to get you more informative advice then this, but the best, most efficient way to increase your supply is to NURSE, NURSE, NURSE BABY ON DEMAND!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Are you planning to exclusively pump? If yes, join the ep group here on cafemom and get all the tips you can now. The very best pumps are about 40% as efficient as baby at removing milk so you'll have to work harder to even get close to getting the same amount. Expect to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours during the night for quite a while. Most moms need to pump at least 8 times a day to get enough. And many moms develop a decreasing pump response so you might need to kick it up more often to get the same amount you were. Which is exactly the opposite of how it works if you can get the baby to breast as they get so efficient you can nurse them in shorter time at increasing intervals.

The very best thing for supply is demand, whether it's constantly putting the baby to breast or pumping more often.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Do you already have a pump? Many insurance companies now completely cover the pump expense.
Lilys_Mommy11
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I plan to exclusively breast feed, but I know tht every once in a great while a pump comes in handy and with my daughter my body didn't respond with my pump what so ever

Quoting mostlymaydays: Are you planning to exclusively pump? If yes, join the ep group here on cafemom and get all the tips you can now. The very best pumps are about 40% as efficient as baby at removing milk so you'll have to work harder to even get close to getting the same amount. Expect to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours during the night for quite a while. Most moms need to pump at least 8 times a day to get enough. And many moms develop a decreasing pump response so you might need to kick it up more often to get the same amount you were. Which is exactly the opposite of how it works if you can get the baby to breast as they get so efficient you can nurse them in shorter time at increasing intervals.

The very best thing for supply is demand, whether it's constantly putting the baby to breast or pumping more often.
Lilys_Mommy11
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM
No I don't, and I shall look Into that, thank you(:

Quoting mostlymaydays: Do you already have a pump? Many insurance companies now completely cover the pump expense.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Good to hear. It's an easier road for sure!

Quoting Lilys_Mommy11: I plan to exclusively breast feed, but I know tht every once in a great while a pump comes in handy and with my daughter my body didn't respond with my pump what so ever

Quoting mostlymaydays: Are you planning to exclusively pump? If yes, join the ep group here on cafemom and get all the tips you can now. The very best pumps are about 40% as efficient as baby at removing milk so you'll have to work harder to even get close to getting the same amount. Expect to pump every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours during the night for quite a while. Most moms need to pump at least 8 times a day to get enough. And many moms develop a decreasing pump response so you might need to kick it up more often to get the same amount you were. Which is exactly the opposite of how it works if you can get the baby to breast as they get so efficient you can nurse them in shorter time at increasing intervals.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM
CALL your insurance company and ask. When my dh went online it appeared that pumps were "durable goods", not covered bit we could write off toward our dedictible. But when he called they said it was 100% covered. I had to go through a medical supply company they approved of and had a choice of 4 pumps my insurance company approved. I didn't even need a prescription. They just won't process the paperwork and get ready to send it until 30 days before your due date. But the "rules" of pump coverage seem to differ drastically from state to state even with the same company.

Quoting Lilys_Mommy11: No I don't, and I shall look Into that, thank you(:

Quoting mostlymaydays: Do you already have a pump? Many insurance companies now completely cover the pump expense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN