Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

turning 1 advice needed

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 19 Replies

Mobile Photo

So Jack it's about to turn 1 next Friday and I need help in regards to pumping and continued nursing. I know at one he can have food before nursing. I'm a full time working mom and up till now I've been pumping 3x per day at work and once early in the morning and I still struggle to make the 9oz he's needed daily at daycare. I'm away from him for 10 hours per day and nurse before I drop him off, as soon as we get home, and then as frequently as he'd like while we're together and on weekends.

I've heard you ladies say before that you don't need to pump anymore after one if you don't want to. Well I don't want to lol. What should he get at daycare instead? Milk? Almond milk? Just water? I do plan to quit pumping slowly over the next few weeks (if that's what you advise) and I do plan to continue nursing on demand when we're together and allow him to self wean. So give me your best practices please.

I totally trust you do my breasts future lies in your hands.
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Wean from pumping, dropping one session per week. It's easiest to shorten the session by a couple of minutes each day rather than doing full sessions and then all of a sudden not doing them. So, 4 sessions to drop will take you 4 weeks.

What you leave him to drink is your choice. As long as he nurses at least 3 times per day he doesn't need any other source of milk.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM
That is all? Just the times? That's great! Thank you!

Quoting K8wizzo: Wean from pumping, dropping one session per week. It's easiest to shorten the session by a couple of minutes each day rather than doing full sessions and then all of a sudden not doing them. So, 4 sessions to drop will take you 4 weeks.

What you leave him to drink is your choice. As long as he nurses at least 3 times per day he doesn't need any other source of milk.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

That's it!  Pretty cool, huh?  Now, to be honest, many toddlers will still nurse more often than that when they're with mom but it's okay to not leave milk when you're separated.

Another note, I still chose to offer to nurse during the day, even if my DS wasn't asking to nurse (on rare occasions, lol) if I could tell that he needed some down time/cuddles/an emotional reset/a NAP.  Don't offer, don't refuse is a weaning method and toddlers tend to get really busy.  It's okay to remind them that nursing is available when they're too involved in their world to remember.

Quoting JackAttacks: That is all? Just the times? That's great! Thank you!
Quoting K8wizzo: Wean from pumping, dropping one session per week. It's easiest to shorten the session by a couple of minutes each day rather than doing full sessions and then all of a sudden not doing them. So, 4 sessions to drop will take you 4 weeks. What you leave him to drink is your choice. As long as he nurses at least 3 times per day he doesn't need any other source of milk.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome. Thank you you were super helpful.

Quoting K8wizzo:

That's it!  Pretty cool, huh?  Now, to be honest, many toddlers will still nurse more often than that when they're with mom but it's okay to not leave milk when you're separated.

Another note, I still chose to offer to nurse during the day, even if my DS wasn't asking to nurse (on rare occasions, lol) if I could tell that he needed some down time/cuddles/an emotional reset/a NAP.  Don't offer, don't refuse is a weaning method and toddlers tend to get really busy.  It's okay to remind them that nursing is available when they're too involved in their world to remember.

Quoting JackAttacks: That is all? Just the times? That's great! Thank you!

Quoting K8wizzo: Wean from pumping, dropping one session per week. It's easiest to shorten the session by a couple of minutes each day rather than doing full sessions and then all of a sudden not doing them. So, 4 sessions to drop will take you 4 weeks.

sal26
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to pump/nurse @ 530 am, pump @ 730 am, pump after noon then at 300 I would nurse or pump if I worked late. when I started to stop pumping, I would stop my 730 one and tried to pump a bit earlier at noon. I usually got about an ounce if I was lucky and seemed to get more at my noonpump. after a few weeks, I started pushing my noon one to around 3. after adjusting again, I would just bring my pump in case I felt like I had to relieve myself or worked extra. now ira still eats at 530 and I may pump a few times a month when I get home and hes not interested in eating. he is 15 months and still nurses on demand when I home on weekends.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM

He can get whatever he likes at daycare.  Just no soda pop, please. And avoid the juice too.

To be honest, very little changes from day 364 to day 366. 

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Well tbh the kid loves bm. He nurses constantly when we're together and his nanny tells me he goes apesh*t for his bm in his sippy cup so that's why I'm kinda torn on whether or not to continue pumping for him. I hate pumping though so I'd love to quit if possible but I don't want him to feel like he's missing something either. Should I have her slowly wean him onto some other milk while I wean myself off pumping?

I would never ever ever ever give him soda. And he's never had juice so I can't imagine a reason to give it now. We're pretty crunchy so cow milk almond milk coconut milk rice milk or water are all were even considering.

Quoting gdiamante:

He can get whatever he likes at daycare.  Just no soda pop, please. And avoid the juice too.

To be honest, very little changes from day 364 to day 366. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Yes, you can have her slowly transition him. And I was teasing about the soda. **smile**

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM
What do you think it's best to transition him to?

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, you can have her slowly transition him. And I was teasing about the soda. **smile**

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Whatever he'll take! Plain old water was great here. Mine didn't care for milk, cow or almond or rice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN