Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Those familiar with otc meds - needs help asap

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM
  • 5 Replies

I woke up with a killer headache and went to grab my ibuprofen. I took what I thought were 4 ibuprofen - turns out it was my husband's zantac. I took 4 (150 mg each). We already called poison control (gah - I'm a doof!) and I'll be fine (lol), but my question is about nursing. I'm nursing my 2 year old currently - how long do I need to abstain from doing so (poison control won't touch that question, and of course the ped's office isn't open yet, and isn't entirely fond of nursing a 2 year old to begin with).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM
On drugs.com it says it is safe and actually given to newborns in higher doses than would be found in your milk.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:15 AM

I guess my concern is how much transfers to milk. I took 3 more than is considered "normal dose".

Quoting pinkiebabii: On drugs.com it says it is safe and actually given to newborns in higher doses than would be found in your milk.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM
All will be well. There is still very little that transfers to milk. No need to pump and dump.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Are you really sure? If so, BLESS YOU, lol. He's getting pretty upset - I had to finally leave him shut in the boys' bedroom and come to a different room, because he wouldn't deter from having "boo". This news will make a happy boy.

Quoting MusherMaggie: All will be well. There is still very little that transfers to milk. No need to pump and dump.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM

No worries. Even your overdose doesn't transfer enough to your milk.

I often say for most OTCs to be a danger to baby, they have to KILL mom first. But you've survived!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN