Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing to sleep a problem?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son turns 1 yr this month, and I have an agreement with dad to get him out of our bed at that time. Dad thinks nursing to sleep makes this worse. But, I feel as if it helps him cope with teething pain etc and it would be mean of me to make him change sleeping patterns and stop nursing to sleep all at once. My plan is to move him in to his sisters room (5 yr old), invest in a good baby monitor, put him to sleep at night and go in and nurse whenever he wakes up. I've totally baby proofed her room, and she is a very willingly participant. 

Any suggestions on the transition, or opinions if the last night nursing would hurt the situation. Man, I'm just dreading this :( he is a very stubborn baby and previous attempts even for the side carred crib have not went well.

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VonAm
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like my little one. She is 22 months. Her crib is side carred too. She wakes several times at night. She is very attached to her mommy. My husband can do nothing with her at night. I have no advice but I wanted to follow this and see what suggestions you get? I nurse her to nap and night time sleep and anytime she wakes during the night...
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
No, night nursing will not hurt the situation. In fact, if you are going to transition him out of your room, you should continue to nurse. Taking those 2 comforts away at once is not recommended.

I nurse my 2, almost 3 year old to sleep and then put him in his toddler bed right beside my mattress, where he STTN most nights then comes to bed with me and nurses with his brother first thing in the morning. Now that he is usually sleeping through the night, we are going to transition him to his own room, but he will still be allowed to nurse to sleep until he decides he doesn't need it, or I can no longer stand it. ;-)

Good luck with your transition!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I like your plan best. You may have to nurse him to sleep in his new quarters and bring him back to your bed for a bit, or you can try without that step.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Nursing to sleep doesn't make it worse. But if Dad wants him out of your bed, DAD takes bedtime. You no longer exist at bedtime.

Usually two days of this convinces Dads they're not so smart after all. **grin**

Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

His taking bedtime would consist of just letting our son scream. Which he will, and dad is not at all effected by. He has tried before and I end up so pissed, and hyperventilating while he is not effected at all.

Quoting gdiamante:

Nursing to sleep doesn't make it worse. But if Dad wants him out of your bed, DAD takes bedtime. You no longer exist at bedtime.

Usually two days of this convinces Dads they're not so smart after all. **grin**

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I would definitely not wean and transition to another bed at the same time. :)
Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't wean, just try and stop the hour if nursing while falling asleep. And even though it's painful and trying at times, I agree I shouldn't stop both at the same time.

Quoting Precious333: I would definitely not wean and transition to another bed at the same time. :)

Mommyaunatural
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Why does he need to move out of your bed? Us he effecting alone time? I have 2 sons. A 9 month old and 2 yr old. I don't nurse my toddler anymore but we bought a king mattress. And put our toddlers bed next to it. I put toddler to sleep at 8pm then nurse baby to sleep but my husband is comfortable with the sleep situation. I've tried transitioning toddler to own room but all I could get was him sleeping in his own bed..
Exsxfxy
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

We have a new queen bed that dad is not willing to replace, and baby effects alone time and dads sleep/comfort ability. Dad has a bad back and finds himself in precarious positions because of lack of space during the night. He agreed to six months in the bed, but I wasn't able to move him into the side carred crib without lots of tears from baby and I. At that point he agreed to a year in our bed.  

Quoting Mommyaunatural: Why does he need to move out of your bed? Us he effecting alone time? I have 2 sons. A 9 month old and 2 yr old. I don't nurse my toddler anymore but we bought a king mattress. And put our toddlers bed next to it. I put toddler to sleep at 8pm then nurse baby to sleep but my husband is comfortable with the sleep situation. I've tried transitioning toddler to own room but all I could get was him sleeping in his own bed..

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I fiogured. I have a rule: If you're not willing to participate to make something happen, you get no say. So I'd be rescinding the agreement you made. But that's me.

Quoting Exsxfxy:

His taking bedtime would consist of just letting our son scream. Which he will, and dad is not at all effected by. He has tried before and I end up so pissed, and hyperventilating while he is not effected at all.

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)